Filling boat with gas

Hi all In a recent post a couple of you mentioned that you fill the tank with the gas nozzle upside down. So why? I have the same problem that a lot of us have the gas burbs back on me as I fill it if I go to fast. Please educate me? Thanks.

2. Member
    I had these same problems particularly with the starboard side tank and it didn't matter which way the gas nozzle was positioned. MikesExpress recommended installing a Perko Anti-Fuel Splash Back Valve (#635DP0). I did and have not had any filling problems since … going on 4 years. I Googled the part, and bought it from some online merchant.

Good luck - Lew

3. Member
    I had a Skeeter once that was notorious for this (upside down nozzle to get gas in) ...... or you were going to 'slow crawl' gas in the normal way. The crazy thing with that boat was you could see both gas tanks in the back and the fill hoses leading to them.

Thankfully none of my Ranger's (3x) or the Xpress X19 have been that way.

I guess all my duck boats don't count ............ they have just been a straight old school 6gal gas can.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

4. Member
    Thanks Guys. I heard about the Perko value I just not to crazy about tearing apart the seats to get to them. Its a good idea but you think Ranger and the rest of them would have figured this out a long time ago. would have been worth an extra 10 bucks on the build.

5. Member
    IDK what model boat you got ……. but taking the seats out of my Z520 is super easy. You just got to get over that first time ever going it and thinking you’re ripping the center of the seat back out. It’s just that the Velcro is legit industrial strength. Pop them 2 screw in both seats, and then the 2 or 3 in the carpet that’s behind the jump seat …….. and then the whole thing comes out. The hardest part is lifting it by yourself if you have a bad back.

Good Luck!
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

6. Member
    I have a 521vx and it has not been too difficult to fill up but the problem I had was after filling the tanks I would watch in my mirror and I could see gas dumping out of the starboard gas cap. The fill hose runs horizontal across the top of the tanks and I guess gas just pushes up the hose and out of the air vent and then down the side of my boat and fenders I just did my first fill up after adding those Perko one way flapper valves and it took fuel great and didn’t drip a drop when taking corners. Super ez job and no idea why they don’t come with the boat from the factory. I have to think that all these boats dump gas when taking sharp turns with full starboard tank.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    I have a 521vx and it has not been too difficult to fill up but the problem I had was after filling the tanks I would watch in my mirror and I could see gas dumping out of the starboard gas cap. The fill hose runs horizontal across the top of the tanks and I guess gas just pushes up the hose and out of the air vent and then down the side of my boat and fenders I just did my first fill up after adding those Perko one way flapper valves and it took fuel great and didn’t drip a drop when taking corners. Super ez job and no idea why they don’t come with the boat from the factory. I have to think that all these boats dump gas when taking sharp turns with full starboard tank.
    The one way valve that cured my issue was bought from West Marine and cost $ 10-12. Took 15 minutes to install onto the gas line.

8. mikesxpress

9. Member
    Most of the times I have seen this happen because of the design of the fill cap location and the fill hose route to the tank. Usually its the hose needing to make a quick 90 degree turn of the bottom of the filler towards the tank location. That can cause the hose to typically straight hose that's used to collapse where it is bent and restrict flow to the tank and cause burping and kicking off of the pump. Turning the fill nozzle in the same direction as the bend can help push the fuel past that corner better allowing you to fill faster with our burping and kicking off the pump. My skeeter (2010) ZX 225 had that problem and also the hose went about and inch lower then the tank inlet which also does not help as the fuel in the part of the hose below the tank inlet is not going to want to flow into the tank effectively shrinking the size of the hose at that area also, making the problem worse.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

10. mikesxpress
    On Ranger's that experience fill/puke issues it's normally due to the vent line being inadequately sized and/or kinked during installation.