Thread: MG recall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MG recall

Any more info on motor guide recall?

2. Member
    No word from the factory.

I received a 2nd letter from MG yesterday. The fix is available for install at authorized MG dealers. Service bulletin is 2021-02R1. MG will be adding an additional year of warranty coverage if the repair is done by 07/31/2022.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

4. Member
    With the fix available now just wondering how long everyone thinks it’ll be before they’re back on the market? I was ready to pull the trigger a few weeks ago but they were all taken down on all the dealers websites.

I just done talking to Motorguide because I couldn't find an authorized service center near me. They said don't be in a hurry to get the motor serviced since there's very, very few boards available and it'll be at least another 6 weeks before they could become available.

Tom

Yet again, I suppose I’ll wait before pulling the trigger on a Tour Pro HD+. Might as well wait until MG re-releases them with the fix in place.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    I already jumped ship and put a Lowrance Ghost on the boat. Have the Motorguide Tour Pro sitting in the garage waiting to get the new board put on. Whenever I get the board replaced I will try to sell it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billycal View Post
    I already jumped ship and put a Lowrance Ghost on the boat. Have the Motorguide Tour Pro sitting in the garage waiting to get the new board put on. Whenever I get the board replaced I will try to sell it.
    Did any of the holes line up with the lowrance or did you have to drill all new ones? Curious because I looked at the lowrance but didn’t want my bow looking like Swiss cheese

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howard47 View Post
    Did any of the holes line up with the lowrance or did you have to drill all new ones? Curious because I looked at the lowrance but didn’t want my bow looking like Swiss cheese
    They all lined up, no issue at all

11. Member
    Spoke to my Service center last week and taking my Tour Pro in for the board change. Service Tech said he had ordered the new board about 4 weeks ago and the board came in. Probably have to leave it over night which is a bummer since its 90 miles away. My TM has been working fine, even the spot loch since cooler weather got here.

12. Member
    Just contacted my nearest service center (Bass Pro Tracker Boat Center) and at first he new nothing of the recall so I gave him the Bulletin number. He finally came back after about 5 min and said he will have to contact motoguide for part availability and would call me back. After about 30 min I received a call back from the service center and he stated that the part is on back order and it wont be back in stock until mid to late December.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billycal View Post
    Just contacted my nearest service center (Bass Pro Tracker Boat Center) and at first he new nothing of the recall so I gave him the Bulletin number. He finally came back after about 5 min and said he will have to contact motoguide for part availability and would call me back. After about 30 min I received a call back from the service center and he stated that the part is on back order and it wont be back in stock until mid to late December.
    That is typical of everything at Motor Guide since early 2020.

14. Member
    The tech took a little over an hour to put in the new board, all function on the bench test good(My old board would have tested good since it wasn't 95 degrees).

Just because you got a recall notice doesn't automatically put you on a list for a new board. Spoke to MG customer service a little over a month ago and an authorized service center has to contact them and order the part for you. I contacted my service center on 10/20/21 and the tech ordered the part, it came in on 11/10/21, not too bad.

Now I hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by JMCasper View Post
    The tech took a little over an hour to put in the new board, all function on the bench test good(My old board would have tested good since it wasn't 95 degrees).

Just because you got a recall notice doesn't automatically put you on a list for a new board. Spoke to MG customer service a little over a month ago and an authorized service center has to contact them and order the part for you. I contacted my service center on 10/20/21 and the tech ordered the part, it came in on 11/10/21, not too bad.

Now I hope it works.
    Please report back with your experience.

Also, I'm wondering if MG has taken this new board opportunity to incorporate any other fixes at the same time?

16. Member
    Took the MG Tour pro out for a quick trip this afternoon, worked fine no issues. Didn't have to recalibrate. the real test will be next summer when it gets hot again. I believe that it was the board over heating causing the problem,

Received a new MG Tour Pro w/HD+ sonar on Friday. I’m guessing it’s has the updated board installed since it shipped straight from MG, but will double check with CS when I register it. I’ll do that early next week and report back on their answer. It’s a beast I will say. Substantial larger than my old Tour 82 Digital. I hope it’s not significantly heavier too (but betting it is).
    Did you guys install the mount on the boat before installing the steering assembly on the mount? The instructions are as clear as mud in some spots.
    It says to lay the mount on a flat surface such as a workbench. I figured mounted to the bow boat would be preferable before installing the steering assembly and motor.
    Apologizes. Not trying to derail the thread. Just that one is step in the manual has me confused.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Did you guys install the mount on the boat before installing the steering assembly on the mount?
    I installed the mount on my boat first then put everything else on. It was a smooth install except one of the ends of the shock gave me fits getting it on.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I installed the mount on my boat first then put everything else on. It was a smooth install except one of the ends of the shock gave me fits getting it on.

Tom
    . Thank you. Didn’t want to install the mount and then find out the steering assembly wouldn’t go on afterwards.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Did you guys install the mount on the boat before installing the steering assembly on the mount? The instructions are as clear as mud in some spots.
    I too installed the mount first and then the drive unit but ran into one problem. For some reason, when I installed the drive unit on the mount in the stowed position, it wouldn't release to deploy. There are two black plastic release tabs on the back of the mount that weren't working as they should. I removed the drive unit, deployed the mount, and then reinstalled the drive unit and all was good. Fortunately, with the motor/shaft adjusted super shallow I had room off the bow of my Cougar to do this. Not sure how it would go if you didn't have that available clearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast