Leaf Spring Torque Specs

I’m replacing a bad leaf spring on the trailer for my 1998 procraft 180 combo. Do y’all know the torque specs for the nuts when I put the new springs on or at least a ball park number?

2. Member
    I have theses values written in a file for trailers so they are probably from an internet search when I replaced springs years ago.

1/2".......45-75 ft/lbs

9/16".....65-95 ft/lbs

5/8".......100-120 ft/lbs

Good luck

3. Member
    Two ugga-duggas!

4. Member
    I was looking into this recently when I replaced my springs. I torqued then down to 65 lbs (I think) and it wouldn't allow the spring to move freely, so I knew that couldn't be right. So, if your talking about the bolts that go thru the eye of each leaf spring.......if the bolt has splines on it under the head of the bolt (some do and some don't) you would need to draw the bolt in with the nut to make sure it's seated, and then back it off. You don't want them to bind. This is from etrailer's website:

The shackle bolts do not require a specific torque rating because tightening the shackle bolts too much will squeeze the shackle straps against the leaf springs and the whole suspension system will bind and cause problems. The best thing to do when tightening down shackle bolts is to use lock nuts and tighten them until they are snug and then backed off 1/4 turn. Lock nuts should be used because they resist loosening with vibration or torque.

This is what I did. I loosened them so they would move freely and not bind. Worked great.

5. Member
    ^Thats what I did.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay