Winterization on '96 Johnson

Hey all,

This is my first time winterizing a boat, and since its a 2 stroke I have some questions. Is the lower unit oil the same for most 2 strokes? I don't have a manual for this engine so I am not sure which oil to get. (1996 Johnson 200HP Venom).

All the guides I have read say to start the engine, cut the fuel line and wait til the engine sputters then cut the engine so that the gas is drained. My question is, since I haven't fired up the boat in 6 weeks, and there is a primer bulb on the fuel line and the engine won't start without me priming the fuel line, is this step necessary? Or can I safely assume that the fuel is not present in the engine at this point?

Another guy I saw said he just sprays fogging oil into the carbs until it stalls out. Is that a normal thing to do?

Thanks!
    Last edited by pathosmusic; 10-21-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    1996 Ranger 397xt
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 HP (Model: 1996 Johnson J200STLEDM)

2. Member
    Do not cut the fuel line and run the engine out of gas. The VRO pump will cycle rapidly and fill the carburetors with oil. You stabilize the fuel and fog the cylinders with oil.

Here are some notes from an owners manual. You need to get one.
    Stabilize the engine’s fuel supply with 2+4 fuel conditioner during the last hours of operation to ensure proper stabilization, following instructions on the container for mixture. Be sure to run the engine long enough for the treated fuel to reach the engine.

Storage Fogging Oil — Connect the can to its fitting on the primer solenoid. Following instructions on the can, fog the engine. After you fog the engine be sure the primer solenoid lever is in the run position.
    1. Run position

Others will chime in for sure.

outboards are not generic and neither are their respective gear oils. But suffice it to say you can use Mercury or Yamaha gear oil and be ok. The specific gear oil for your engine is Evinrude HPF PRO OR HPF XR. 33 oz.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Do not cut the fuel line and run the engine out of gas. The VRO pump will cycle rapidly and fill the carburetors with oil. You stabilize the fuel and fog the cylinders with oil.

Here are some notes from an owners manual. You need to get one.
    Where can I find one for something this old?
    1996 Ranger 397xt

4. Member
    Lots of places. Start here https://www.outboardbooks.com/manual/J200STLEC/Johnson/
    and from the stickies in the beginning of this forum http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=638013

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Lots of places. Start here https://www.outboardbooks.com/manual/J200STLEC/Johnson/
    and from the stickies in the beginning of this forum http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=638013
    I've checked those and my model is J200STLEDM but only models that show up are without the "M" ... is that a big deal or should it be the same manual?
    1996 Ranger 397xt

6. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pathosmusic View Post
    I've checked those and my model is J200STLEDM but only models that show up are without the "M" ... is that a big deal or should it be the same manual?
    Check the year , check J200STLEDM. 1995. Or a 1997 year if that model number is on motor, and not showing in 1996 , you just have wrong year , probably the year beforehand or after.

7. Member
    The winterization process is the same between all those years. You could even use a 2004 150hp Johnson manual for the process.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JER-1 BIG BASS View Post
    Check the year , check J200STLEDM. 1995. Or a 1997 year if that model number is on motor, and not showing in 1996 , you just have wrong year , probably the year beforehand or after.

9. Member
    So I went through the winterization process today, using a mix of recommendations. My question is, when I sprayed fogging oil into the carb intakes, the engine stalled out after only 2 seconds. Is that normal? On other people's videos or guides it says from 5-10 sec of spraying or until the engine starts to sputter. I just want to make sure I got enough fogging oil into the engine.
    1996 Ranger 397xt