Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I did get my flywheel off. Then saw the evidence of melted stator. Bummed, but I will keep trying. Might have to wait a month or 2 before I can get another stator. How is your outboard coming along?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J200TXEDR View Post
    I did get my flywheel off. Then saw the evidence of melted stator. Bummed, but I will keep trying. Might have to wait a month or 2 before I can get another stator. How is your outboard coming along?
    haven’t had a chance to work on it. I’m pretty sure it’s the powerpack but i want to get an updated compression check just need to make a plan on how im gonna ground all the plug wires in order to do it

3. Member
    Pull the kill switch. The one with the lanyard that you should be clipping to yourself.

4. Member
    Well finally got around to working on the thing. Here’s what I got.

Compression :

1 95
    2 95
    3 100
    4 95
    5 90
    6 90

stator ohms 756 & 770 nothing to ground

Stator output both above 130VAC

Timer base ohm was around 222 with nothing to ground

Timer base out put was only 120-130mv when it’s supposed to be 200-400mv lol which leads me to believe I either have a timer base problem or some issue with my flywheel magnets. Any other input would be appreciated.

5. Member
    Hello Dr3w,
    Are your flywheel magnets loose or still epoxied in place? Also are they evenly spaced( about 7/16th)? Besides the damage, mine had come loose, moved and there was 1 large gap(over 1 inch). Also I saw a youtube video about checking the hub magnet(terminology?) to see if it has damage. My hub magnet is ok.

I haven't ordered a new stator yet. I did order multi meter and dva adapter but haven't learned how to use them yet.

Found a picture of mine showing what I described

flywhl1.jpg

6. Member
    Hello Dr3w,
    Are your flywheel magnets loose or still epoxied in place? Also are they evenly spaced( about 7/16th)? Besides the damage, mine had come loose, moved and there was 1 large gap(over 1 inch). Also I saw a youtube video about checking the hub magnet(terminology?) to see if it has damage. My hub magnet is ok.

I haven't ordered a new stator yet. I did order multi meter and dva adapter but haven't learned how to use them yet.

Found a picture of mine showing what I described

flywhl1.jpg
    the ones on the outside are all in good condition from what I can tell with the rotor still on, I think my problem lies with the center magnet which I guess would be called the hub magnet. It’s either that or the timer base from my troubleshooting steps. Going to get a puller early in the morning to get my flywheel off and I’ll update

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't use a three jaw puller you will pull the ring gear off of the flywheel. Use the harmonic balancer puller that attaches to the flywheel. The nut is 1 7/16", the CDI troubleshooting manual has the pictures of the flywheel's sensor magnet.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Don't use a three jaw puller you will pull the ring gear off of the flywheel. Use the harmonic balancer puller that attaches to the flywheel. The nut is 1 7/16", the CDI troubleshooting manual has the pictures of the flywheel's sensor magnet.
    Understood. I just need to grab the socket and I’ll be ready to go. From the problems I described does it sound like I’m on the right track champ?

9. Banned
    Make sure its a thin walled socket

10. Member
    Hello Dr3w,
    Here is the socket I bought from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thank you ChampioNman for the part name -- sensor magnet

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    A 12 point socket usually fits better.

12. Member
    Well here’s the flywheel inner and outer magnets look great. Timer base?
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Hello Dr3w,
    Put my new stator on today. But my 3/8th" torque wrench only had 100 ft lbs, need 145 for flywheel nut. So I didn't get to start it yet. I did ohms check on my timer base and had 224( range was 215-225). Soon, hopefully I will be good to go. Any progress Dr3w?

14. Member
    Hello Dr3w,
    Put my new stator on today. But my 3/8th" torque wrench only had 100 ft lbs, need 145 for flywheel nut. So I didn't get to start it yet. I did ohms check on my timer base and had 224( range was 215-225). Soon, hopefully I will be good to go. Any progress Dr3w?
    just got new timer base on and it is now putting out the proper voltage range. Will hopefully be on the water this weekend to test

15. Member
    Awesome Dr3w. I hope it goes perfect and you can enjoy your boat on the water.

Bad news here -- went and borrowed a torque wrench today. So then when I tried to start, would turn over but zero ignition. No spark. And found that the vacuum switch is leaking fuel also. Lol, I have a electrical and fuel delivery problem.

16. Member
    Well took it out today and got her up on plane she ran for about 3 minutes then started surging. Came off pad and it would no longer idle. Would fire sputter for a little then die. I did notice that one of the heads was hotter than the other. Making me wonder if I have a cooking problem.

17. Member
    Think I found the issue. Embarrassing to say the least that I didn’t find this sooner. Water getting into combustion chamber. Corrosion has gotten bad enough that it is a persistent issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    Man, that is not good. What can you do about? Sorry that has happened.

19. Member
    So new head gaskets came in and I’m cleaning up the surfaces. Can I re use the old head bolts? I couldn’t find the torque pattern but the torque value says 17lbs. If any one is still following this thread any advice would be appreciated

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The heads should be marked in the patter to be followed, start and the center cylinders and go in a clockwise pattern. I bring them down to about 13 Lbs then back around to a final torque of 17 Ft. Lbs. Yes you can reuse them. The service manual has the pattern also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast