Flush mounting side scan transducer on step

What are everyone’s thoughts on flat mounting a sidescan transducer under the step on the back of a ranger, bass cat, etc.? Are there benefits to this or issues to consider versus mounting to the transom or jack plate?

2. Member
    Last few Rangers I worked on came from the factory mounted that way. I've personally set up and tested them and everything is pretty darn clear and have not gotten any complaints. I've done a ton of Rangers that had Gen3s and upgraded to Lives so I replaced the existing Transducer with the AI 2-1/ 3-1 using the flush mount bracket that was already installed

3. Member
    My 3D is mounted flush to the step. Works great.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    Many are very successful mounting theirs under the step. It is not my preference for three reasons. 1. I don't drill holes below the waterline in my fiberglass boats. No matter if properly sealed they can eventually with age and vibration leak (not always but once is too many times). 2. If you upgrade styles of transducers in the future you have even more holes in your glass to deal with, and the change is not as easy. 3. It is less protected from damage than mounting it on the jackplate with a transducershieldandsaver.com mount.

You can see my mounting with my Ranger here:
    ciao,
    Marc