Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1998 Johnson J175FTLECS - is this a ficht? 150 sticker on a 175hp?

Bought a used Stratus 176xt for relatively cheap last night. Previous owner knew very little about it and boat sat for a couple years (supposedly ran last year).

Engine cover sticker has a 150 Fast Strike but plate indicates 1998 J175FTLECS (engine family W1PXM0158221, spark plug XC12PEPB).

Can someone tell me if this is a ficht? Boat is rated for 150hp so I'm taking a wild guess that someone decided to change the sticker although motor is actually 175hp?

I plan to do the following:
    drain existing gas
    drain motor oil in reservoir/replace
    lower unit oil
    water pump
    spark plugs
    run a mixture of non-ethanol gas and sea foam through it.

Anything else I should check/do? Appreciate any insight/help....thanks in advance!
    Last edited by xavierisu; 10-21-2021 at 10:14 AM.

2. Member
    Yes the model number shows it’s a Ficht direction.

3. Banned
    How do you plan on changing the motor oil?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassmanZF6 View Post
    How do you plan on changing the motor oil?
    He (hopefully) means to remove any old oil in the tank and replace with new XD-100 oil. If so, one needs to take care not to allow air to get into the line or it needs to be bled.
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
    He (hopefully) means to remove any old oil in the tank and replace with new XD-100 oil. If so, one needs to take care not to allow air to get into the line or it needs to be bled.
    That's correct! I plan on siphoning out old oil in the tank and replace with XD-100 which I have two gallons laying around.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Yes the model number shows it’s a Ficht direction.
    Oh bummer! I was hoping that wasn't the case. Is this confirmed just by the model number? Is there another way to identify to confirm?

I've read nothing but horror story about ficht motors and know next to nothing about them!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierisu View Post
    Anything else I should check/do? Appreciate any insight/help....thanks in advance!
    Oil - See above caution for replacing the old oil in the tank. ONLY use XD-100 oil! FYI, Domo online has a special now for 6-gallons, about $43 per gallon shipped, just sa their ad yesterday! Link = https://domo-online.com/6-gallon-cas...ude-xd100-oil/

Plugs
    - Make sure to gap and then index & torque them properly - info above in the stickies.

Seafoam - No, I wouldn't. I too went from OMC V6s to the FFI or Ficht model and enough people and stories abound that led me to NOT use Seafoam in this engine. I would use the can of spray OMC Engine Tuner and follow the directions for the can. But I would have the engine nice & warmed up first and would ideally do all this in the water and not on muffs. Bring it home overnight, if needed for the 'soak' time.

Batteries - NOTE these puppies need 12V juice far EXCEEDING that which the OEM manuals state! Must of us here still running them have had best luck with batteries about ~1000 amps. There are various NAPA Commercial 'BCI' batteries that fit this bill, No. 21 950A (Part# BAT 7236) or 1125A (Part# BAT 7234).

Other1 - When you 1st turn the key, the fuel pump runs for 10-seconds. So pump that bulb firm. Then turn the key to ON but not crank. Pump bulb again & turn key OFF. Then turn ON again, wait the fulll 10-seconds, then try to crank. These OBs can be an absolute beeyatch to start when the fuel manifolds/rails are empty.

Other2 - You may also want to replace the onboard fuel/water separator cartridge, ~ $20, just because of 'old' fuel. And FILL this up before installing! YOu may also need to replace the fule lines from tank to engine someday if old, or will be using E10 fuels.

Other3 - If you are going to keep it, go online and buy a PDF version of the OEM Evinrude Factory Service Manual, ~ $25 - do NOT buy a Seloc or Clymer versions! Part # is 520211.

Other4 - If you are going to keep it, also try to get a copy of the old Evinrude OEM diagnostic software (3.5" disc version) and run on an old laptop with disc drive and Windows XP software. I had to make my own cable out of one of the newer ones w/ USB connection on the computer end, but info for how to do so is posted on the Continuous Wave/Whaler site. FYI, the new cables connect to the Engine-side OK, but the newer versions of the software, for USB cables, won't work, as the old software is looking only for Comm1 'serial' port, but that's not how the USB ports are configured. I had to cut off the USB-connector side and solder it to fit an printer-type serial cable connector. But now I can 'read' my 1998 175hp engine codes and history.

8. Member
    I've read nothing but horror story about ficht motors and know next to nothing about them!
    Well I bought my hull 4-years ago now thinking that there was a 'big white Ficht anchor' on the stern, but for the price I paid I surely didn't buy the rig for the motor. Howver, I did all I stated as per above, and it has been flawless ... '98 vintage 175hp FFI with pinned heads ... go figure!

But she is propped right (no more than 200 RPMs off max @ WOT, with me alone and 1/4 fuel, with all gear typically carried daily) and I use only XD-100 oil with Carbon Guard added every tank fillup, as these engines don't like excessive low RPM running and I have 2 to 3 long 'no wakes' zones to navigate through. Ethanol E10 fuel to boot too, as the only fuel I can get ...

9. Member
    Wow....thanks for the insight DaleH! So this is confirmed a ficht motor? How can I validate beyond model number (if applicable)? Read nothing but horror stories about them. Picked up the boat late last night so needing to do a thorough check. Got it cheap enough that I can toss the motor and still be ahead.

10. Member
    Look at the Ficht plug indexing info above, take hood off, look for the XC12PEPB plugs and for the 'pin' at the injector that the plug gap faces. See photo for 'pin'. There should be a Sharpie marker line on your plugs (if properly indexed) that ideally should be facing the 'pin'. If you have pins and injectors ... you gotta Ficht ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaleH; 10-21-2021 at 10:47 AM.

11. Member
    Oh ... check compression, for a record (write it down) and for good info, plus to establish your history.

12. Member
    Look at the cylinder heads and you will see a fuel injector attached to the head inline with each cylinder.
    I don’t remember exactly but the emm may have a decal with the word Ficht

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
    Look at the Ficht plug indexing info above, take hood off, look for the XC12PEPB plugs and for the 'pin' at the injector that the plug gap faces. See photo for 'pin'. There should be a Sharpie marker line on your plugs (if properly indexed) that ideally should be facing the 'pin'. If you have pins and injectors ... you gotta Ficht ...
    AC781AB9-67D4-45A7-A1D2-BB70C81B8BBF.jpeg

What exactly am I looking for? I don’t see a fuel injector nor a fuel/water separator?

Also, the spark plug is QL78YC.

14. Member
    NOT a Ficht engine, just carburetted V-6.

15. Member
    This was from my 98 Ranger 518DVS with a Johnson 175 FICHT and it looked nothing like what you have in the picture. I don't think you have a FICHT.

IMG_boat4.JPG
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    AC781AB9-67D4-45A7-A1D2-BB70C81B8BBF.jpeg

What exactly am I looking for? I don’t see a fuel injector nor a fuel/water separator?

Also, the spark plug is QL78YC.

You're better off, someone installed a carbed motor on the midsection with a Ficht model number on it.

What is stamped on the silver plug on the back of the motor?

Your picture is not of a FICHT engine so disregard anything posted about servicing FICHT in this thread.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    What is stamped on the silver plug on the back of the motor?

Your picture is not of a FICHT engine so disregard anything posted about servicing FICHT in this thread.

What "silver plug" are you referring to? Are you referring to attached photo?

Looking up diagram on boat.net per model number, it looks nothing like the motor I have which leads to me to believe someone installed a different motor on it.

So....the next question is, how do I go about identifying to source parts? How do I know if it's a 150hp or 175?

Finally had time to work on it yesterday and it fired up/ran. Identified the VRO pump was disengaged so I had to manually mixed in 50:1 gas/oil. Replaced all 12 o-rings on fuel rail but carburetor gaskets on the right side is leaking a little.
    J175FTLECS.jpg Johnson J175 outboard.jpg

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Between a 1991 and 1994 based on the fixed orifices and the carb side plate in 95 they went with the 5 screw plates and adjustable idle jet.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Between a 1991 and 1994 based on the fixed orifices and the carb side plate in 95 they went with the 5 screw plates and adjustable idle jet.
    Thanks ChampioNman, good catch! I reviewed the side plate in various models and you're right on; some had 4, others had 5.

Any way to identify HP? Curiosity is getting the best of me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast