Topwater bait setups

Ok, this has been probably discussed before... but is it best to use a split ring on the front of walking baits,glidebaits, even plopper or popper style baits or is it better to just tie the knot straight to the bait?
    I mainly use a loop knot on every bait above EXCEPT the plopper style baits.

2. Member
    I like a swivel on front of plopper when weeds around,keeps line from twisting
    Split ring on some baits

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If you’re good at tying a loop knot there’s no reason for a split ring, actually a split ring will tear your line up with a loop knot. If you want to use a Palomar, use a #2 split ring.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    9 times out of 10, its a proper sized snap on a walking bait, and even some poppers like the Pop-Max and Daiwa TD Popper. Some poppers need a direct tie due to mouth and line tie design, which is most of the 1/4 - 3/8 poppers I own...it's best to experiment and find out whether a direct tie or snap works best with the poppers.

WPs and prop baits, a proper sized snap swivel is what I would recommend.

I agree with Casslaw. A loop knot is tough to beat as long as you’ve removed any split ring first. You won’t get more natural action, and that damn thing just doesn’t break! I know it probably doesn’t test as strong as other knots in a lab, but in practice they’re just plain strong. My working theory is that a knot that’s cinched tight to the eye rubs and burns as the bait moves which weakens it, while a loop knot does not.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    I use an owner weedless snap. Never a problem.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

I use Norman Speed Clips for most all my topwater setups. The regular size works just like a loop knot. Let’s the bait work freely. I use the Magnum version on larger topwater baits, or if I want to give it a more nose down action.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Scraps
    I switch all my walking and glide baits over to a snap. Remove the split ring. Fished a plopper for awhile last trip out and can see using a swivel next time.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD