Thread: active target

active target

I have a 2005 v-18 tournament tracker so it has a older fuse box where you can’t add the active target to it, that Ik of. That being said I was going to talk to bass pro to see if they could figure it out. Then I got thinking I wonder how useful it would be for me here in Iowa, where I seem to fish 15 foot or less and wanted everyone’s thoughts on the matter. Im going to be fishing tournaments next year so don’t want to be at a disadvantage but also don’t want to spend money to spend money if it’s not a right fit for the above

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Install an ON/OFF switch between a Blue Sea fuse block and the cranking battery (or a dedicated electronics battery) and run 10-12 gauge wires from all your electronics directly to the Blue Sea fuse block. You can run all the power hungry newer electronics by doing this.

Can't help as to whether or not Active Target would be worth it for your fishing situation.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    You want clean power anyway. Run separate leads straight to the battery (for both the unit and the module) through a cutoff or use a Blue Sea fuse block.

In terms of usefulness for fishing 15 foot or less, it depends. How proficient are you at using electronics? One guy I fish with buys new stuff but then just uses it to see how deep the water is. He might as well have a flasher but he has $8k tied up in electronics.

If you are fishing offshore in 15 foot, Active Target will be helpful. You can find balls of bait and see fish on them or on structure out in front of your boat. If you are just sitting in 15 foot of water and throwing up to the bank it will be less useful. I can tell you for a fact that I catch a few extra fish per trip because of forward facing sonar. Are those few fish worth the money I paid for the equipment? For me, yes.

4. Member
    I’ve been running livescope the past couple months, and I am a shallow water fisherman. I believe it has a time and place to be very useful. My biggest help so has been staying on structure. I have older helix graphs that don’t network right now, so ffs has really helped me make accurate casts. I’ll be installing an active target today, along with a sea clear power harness on a friends boat, but I run a dedicated lithium battery for my livescope, with an an/off switch.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

5. Member
    Kentucky bass ln a point, this week, under 15' deep. Scout mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    I have active target and I can say it helps tell what fish are relating to. Very good tool and after all new electronics installed on my boat, it is the cats meow. 10/2 anchor marine wire and blue sea fuse panel is also cats meow
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Kentucky bass ln a point, this week, under 15' deep. Scout mode.
    Did you catch any of them?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 206champion View Post
    Did you catch any of them?
    Yes. 8 and the school moved to deeper water. Had good success scanning for schools and throwing a whopperplopper over them.