Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shortages are getting old

I need an oil tank for a 250 Pro XS. I called over 20 places today. Out of stock at every place I called. Everyone says they are back ordered and might arrive mid November. Fall is my favorite time to fish and my motor is stuck in guardian mode with a bad oil tank. Starting to wonder if our supply chain will ever be normal again. Side note—I did find some aftermarket tanks but I just can’t make myself trust an aftermarket oil tank.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Unfortunately, there are a TON of those on backorder. Partly supply-chain problems, partly a shortage in the type of material used to mold the reservoirs.

I have a half-dozen jobs on hold for the same reason (and it's not just "this" tank style, either).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachmks View Post
    I need an oil tank for a 250 Pro XS. I called over 20 places today. Out of stock at every place I called. Everyone says they are back ordered and might arrive mid November. Fall is my favorite time to fish and my motor is stuck in guardian mode with a bad oil tank. Starting to wonder if our supply chain will ever be normal again. Side note—I did find some aftermarket tanks but I just can’t make myself trust an aftermarket oil tank.
    Engine mount oil tank? or 3 gal reservoir?
    2013 20XD/ 250XS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine mounted.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Unfortunately, there are a TON of those on backorder. Partly supply-chain problems, partly a shortage in the type of material used to mold the reservoirs.

I have a half-dozen jobs on hold for the same reason (and it's not just "this" tank style, either).

Yes. I called your shop first when my dealer did not have one. I did not list the engine info because I know the part number I need, just cannot find one. I just can't trust an aftermarket part for something as important as the tank for the oil system. I am worried that it will take months for all the back orders to get filled.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I sure hope not!

7. Member
    Well here I am still waiting on the oil reservoir over two months later. Now Merc says they should be available in February. I am about to talk myself into the aftermarket reservoir.

8. Member
    You can't hot wire the tank sensor so you can go fish? Life is short.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

9. Member
    Well here I am still waiting on the oil reservoir over two months later. Now Merc says they should be available in February. I am about to talk myself into the aftermarket reservoir.
    Offshore performance in Fort Meyers FL has a few of these in stock. It's not hard find parts if you know where to look.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Offshore performance in Fort Meyers FL has a few of these in stock. It's not hard find parts if you know where to look.
    Thanks for the tip. I’ve called over 50 parts places and Merc dealers.

11. Member
    Definitely getting old, I've had a tank back-ordered from Don since August. I'm beginning to wonder if Mercury is dropping support for the Optimax 2-stroke motors. Disappointed to say the least.

12. Member
    hurts at dealer level also , BAD
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Offshore Performance had 45 of the tanks in stock. Now they have 44.

14. Member
    report back if it has newest improved fill cap thread reinforcement
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    hurts at dealer level also , BAD
    ^^^^ THIS. I spend far too much of my time checking status of backorders... sure hoping that 2022 brings an improvement!

Oil tanks are particularly troublesome, as are many parts molded from that white-plastic (some have even been replaced with black material, where it's possible).

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This would usually not be appropriate, but given the circumstances (and if they really have 40+ OEM tanks, not aftermarket) it's good that folks can hit them up for them.

I still have a number that have been on backorder since early AUGUST.

17. Member
    I contacted Mercury. Kinda funny that they told me there is not a problem with availability of parts and any dealer should have the tank. They wanted me to give them names of dealers that did not have the tank in stock. I told them to check their back orders and they could see all the dealers that are waiting on back orders and if they needed me to tell them that info, then they are in worse shape than I thought.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This would usually not be appropriate, but given the circumstances (and if they really have 40+ OEM tanks, not aftermarket) it's good that folks can hit them up for them.

I still have a number that have been on backorder since early AUGUST.
    That is where I just got mine about a month or 2 ago.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

19. Member
    It's not just boat stuff. I've been waiting on some (automotive)transmission parts for several months.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I contacted Mercury. Kinda funny that they told me there is not a problem with availability of parts and any dealer should have the tank. They wanted me to give them names of dealers that did not have the tank in stock. I told them to check their back orders and they could see all the dealers that are waiting on back orders and if they needed me to tell them that info, then they are in worse shape than I thought.
    This is quite interesting. PM me the name or number, PLEASE. My only guess is that they're thinking of the REMOTE oil tank (not the engine mounted tank, example: Part# 8M0064075 ).

I checked this just yesterday: Not only do they not have any, they have not shipped them to any dealers because there weren't any to ship (most certainly not several dozen of them). Makes me curious as to where someone comes by 40+ of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast