Do any of you trap/snare small game?

My son and I built some rabbit traps last summer for a project and tried with on success to catch a rabbit last winter. We are wanting to try again this year and also try some snaring. I have watched some videos and have some basic knowledge from some bushcraft books I have. Do any of you do this?

my boy and I make wooden box traps for rabbit. They think its a log and go in and door falls. good fun

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    my boy and I make wooden box traps for rabbit. They think its a log and go in and door falls. good fun
    That's what we made but not much luck. Do you bait with anything?

Ran a small trap line when I was young. I grew up in a rural area near a creek. I would run the creek line before school and my dad would hit the neighbors farm ponds. Those are great memories. Always excited to catch a mink. A weekly trip to sell the furs. Great quality time with Dad.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    My son and I built some rabbit traps last summer for a project and tried with on success to catch a rabbit last winter. We are wanting to try again this year and also try some snaring. I have watched some videos and have some basic knowledge from some bushcraft books I have. Do any of you do this?
    Have you checked the lawbook before going too far with this hobby? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it and it might be good to have the skills but......what would the game warden have to say about it? And when you say "snare", are you talking killer snares or drags? It's hard to release unintended by-catch from a lethal trap after it's dead

6. Member
    Ditto on 'what is your state's laws'. In SC it is illegal to use snares unless in water sets. Rabbit boxes can only be used by landlords and tenants, and no more than 5 boxes. It says nothing of if 'baiting' the box is legal or illegal ..... I just know that I've heard folks say that apple slices work, but you greatly increase the likelihood of catching opossums and skunks. The best thing to do with rabbit boxes is to keep them scent-free. If you do catch an opossum or skunk you might as well set that box aside outside for a year. The best rabbit boxes are ones that have had a rabbit in them recently and placing boxes next to rabbit trails in thick cover, especially once it gets cold.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

apples and corn is what the boy says works best.

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Have you checked the lawbook before going too far with this hobby? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it and it might be good to have the skills but......what would the game warden have to say about it? And when you say "snare", are you talking killer snares or drags? It's hard to release unintended by-catch from a lethal trap after it's dead
    Good point. I did check last year before we set the boxes out but I have not checked on snares yet.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    It's hard to release unintended by-catch from a lethal trap after it's dead
    Disagree