Question speedometer not working

I noticed that my speedometer was not working, thought it was lower unit hole was plugged, it was open. Pulled drain plug and about a cup of water drained out. Had ran down lake at about 30mph and needle did not move, must have a hole in the tube that feeds the speedometer. Does anyone know if there is a splice point in the hose when they rig the boat, or it rubbed a hole in the tube. No water under console on floor. My boat is 2018 Ranger 198P with a 150 4s?

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    To be honest, I have owned 6 bass boats and some fish and ski boats. After the first or second time out.....
    NONE of the speedometers worked. I use my GPS on my electronics for EXACT speed.
    Good luck with your quest.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Check the pitot tube mechanism mounted on the STBD side of the stern. Sometimes if i'm running in weeds or shallow mine will get pushed up and i get the same affect, no speed. I just tilt it back down and she's good to go...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    To be honest, I have owned 6 bass boats and some fish and ski boats. After the first or second time out.....
    NONE of the speedometers worked. I use my GPS on my electronics for EXACT speed.
    Good luck with your quest.
    Agreed.

GPS is the best speedometer. Those analogs never work, and if they do, they don't work properly.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

5. Banned
    They are useless when they do work, use GPS to get an accurate speed.

6. Member
    I know that gps is better, I just want the water leak in the boat to get stopped and everything works if I ever think about selling the boat!

7. Member
    Is it leaking inside the boat? Have you tried blowing in the pitot with a can of air to see if the speedo moves? Sometimes the lower unit gets clogged back in there. If you know it's leaking in the boat you're going to need to run a new tube. or take it apart and chase down the leak. If that's the case I'd just run another tube. My speedo has been disconnected and the tube plugged since the week it came home.

8. Member
    There's usually a splice connection at the motor, mines up around the jack plate.

9. Member
    I have an 2019 RT 178 and my speedometer hasn't worked for the last year, but I didn't really care too much since I rely on my GPS. I have also experienced intermittent starting issues this past year, as well as times where I am running across the lake only to have the boat shut down like someone turned off the key. I took it in for service and they discovered the problem...terrible rigging by Ranger. The hole under my console is way to small for the amount of wires they ran through it. The speedo tube was ran with the wire and pinched in half due to the small hole. The other frustration is the hole has rough sheet metal on one side and rough fiberglass on the other, so my wires are not only pinched, but the coating is gone on several of them....Thanks Ranger! I can't wait to foot the entire bill for this repair caused by hack work at the factory.