Couldn’t put gas in my Z520C this morning!?

I went to fill the tank this morning after burning probably 10-15 gallons on Sunday. The pump just kept clicking off. I though maybe it was a pump issue so I tried another station with the same result. Actually had some gas back up out of the full tube.

Got on the water and the analog and digital (Evinrude) gauges read 100% and stayed that way all day. I fished areas that normally use about 10 gallons. Heading back to the ramp the gauge dropped into the 80s for a minute and then went back up to 100. It continues to read 100% now. Based on the amount I fished in 2 trips it should probably be high 60s or low 70% range.

Most of the time when I open the gas cap to fill I will hear a pressure release type of sound. I didn’t hear that today and I don’t think I heard it when I filled up Sunday. The boat is a 2016 and I’ve never had any issues filling it before.

Has anyone else had this problem or have ideas? I could see a stuck float or bad sending unit giving incorrect gauge readings but would that prevent filling up?

In the old days I’d be calling Ranger, guess I’ll have to try calling dealers but we don’t have a good one anywhere near Austin.

Thanks for your help.

2. Member
    Probably because gas price was 5.00 gallon lol sound like it has a air poket in tank was the boat on even ground or level?

3. Member
    I have a 2015 and the vent is located under the gas cap cover so it shouldn't get clogged with anything. At some pumps I do have to start filling slow and then can speed up once its flowing. The pump will kick off if it tries filling to fast because fuel can't get through the filler neck and into the tank faster than the fuel is entering. This causes a temporary/false "full fuel" condition in the filler neck shutting the fuel flow off. Let it sit for 30 seconds and start filling again at a slower flow rate
    My gas gauge on the instrument panel isn't very accurate either however the Smartcraft information is accurate within a half gallon every time I fill up.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

4. Member
    I actually tried 2 different gas stations (where I have filled up before) with the same result. Both were on level ground. Normally the Evinrude gas gauge is accurate.

5. Member
    OK maybe you do have a plugged or pinched vent line. I know the tank and hoses are located under the seats but never had a reason to pull the them out of the boat. I'm sure someone here can tell you (and me) exactly how to do it so you can inspect the vent line.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Did you try holding the nozzle upside down?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

I’m on my 4th Ranger. Not one of them would ever take gas without wanting to overflow onto the side of the boat. I have to pump slow. Sounds like you’re not getting any gas to go in though.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I've always had to turn the nozzle upside down and fill with the slowest setting.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Spoke to C&O marine this am. It’s a vapor lock issue. There are 2 grade valves in the system. If they get moisture in them they can tell the system the tank is at max useable capacity (90%) and prevent any further gas coming in. Short story is they said to go burn some more gas and see if the system will correct and accept gas. Otherwise it’s a big job pulling seats, etc and accessing the valves for replacement.
    Heading out in the am and keeping my fingers crossed.

Appreciated Marty at C&O taking time to explain to me this morning.

10. Member
    my stratos always is hard the first fill up in the spring then it seems ok for rest of the season? It takes a long time to fill up the first time every season.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Took the advice of C&O Marine and ran the boat again today. After burning more gas the vapor lock appears to have gone away. Has gauges now reading 80%. And the fish were definitely biting. ��

Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    Spoke to C&O marine this am. It’s a vapor lock issue. There are 2 grade valves in the system. If they get moisture in them they can tell the system the tank is at max useable capacity (90%) and prevent any further gas coming in. Short story is they said to go burn some more gas and see if the system will correct and accept gas. Otherwise it’s a big job pulling seats, etc and accessing the valves for replacement.
    Heading out in the am and keeping my fingers crossed.

Appreciated Marty at C&O taking time to explain to me this morning.
    It's not a big job pulling seats. After you do it a few times, you can pull them in minutes. The valves will be right there.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    It's not a big job pulling seats. After you do it a few times, you can pull them in minutes. The valves will be right there.
    Might want to pour in some fuel treatment like Seafoam; might unstick the valve...

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

14. Member
    Once I burned some more gas out on the water the fuel gauge started working again and the problem was gone. No problem adding gas a few days ago.