Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger 520R - Pictures and Initial Thoughts

I picked up my new 520R from Pro Choice on Saturday. I thought I'd share some initial thoughts on the boat.

First, Pro Choice is first class. They knew I was driving in from Arkansas to sell my boat and then to Texas after I picked it up and they made everything efficient and quick. Pete is first class all the way and I would highly recommend those guys.

As for this boat, the trailer gave me no issues on the 400 mile drive home. I took the boat out on Ray Roberts Sunday morning for a few hours, just to see how it performed. It came from Ranger with 3 hours, so I didn't have to deal with the first 2 hours of break-in and I greatly appreciated that. I know Pete is on here, so I'll let him explain why it had hours on it, but he said their head of engineering took it out to test the boat, since this was one of the first ones.

The storage is absolutely next level in this boat. I loaded it down with 30 rod/reel combos and all my tackle. In my Z521L, I couldn't fit that much in the boat and use the rear compartments for my hard baits. Not in this boat. I didn't even fill up the center storage. I never keep that many rods in my boat, but I just wanted to test it out. The center storage seems even deeper than I remembered from the Classic. The port side storage shelf system makes it easy to get a rod from the bottom shelf or any shelf for that matter and the starboard side has a similar shelf system, but I'm using it for cushions and life jackets. It's just a fantastic design all around. The cooler is deep and performed well. You can actually put a plug in the bottom, which is different from my 521L.

I opted for the removable console and it's great and very easy to remove. I removed it at my boat storage, just to see how easy it was. Simple and not heavy. The wiring under the console is very clean and labeled. I included a picture. I wondered why I had a Lowrance GPS puck on the rear deck, but it goes to the new touchscreen, as it has a directional function. The seats are fantastic. I seem to sit a bit higher in the seat than my old boat, but I liked it and the seats are the most comfortable boat seats I have sat in.

First fish button was a nice feature and worked well. The rest of the touchscreen was really cool to use and the key fob was also awesome. No more 1234 codes. The phone charger is a nice feature and works.

Now for performance, the boat will jump out of the water. Keep in mind I had a 521L, but guys, it jumps up out of the water. Pete told me to try 3 1/2" for my initial run and with both consoles and fully loaded, I hit 72 easily and I think it had more. Some chop on the water and headwind. As far as how it turns, I couldn't be more happy. It slices through the water. The boat also will stay on plane at 18 mph.

Overall, I absolutely love the boat. The only thing I need to get used to is the paddles for the trims. I couldn't get my SI to work and while I was running across the water with the map displayed, the SOLIX unit kept telling me my DI signal was lost. I wasn't using DI, but it looked like when you power down your front unit with 360, but still have the two on in the back, it says it has lost the 360 signal and I just cancel. Seems a bit off.

If you love Rangers, you will absolutely love this boat and it is not slow by any means.

If you have questions that I didn't cover, let me know. I'll do a video when I go back up to my storage unit tomorrow.

20211015_205451294_iOS.jpg20211015_205501754_iOS.jpg20211015_205507153_iOS.jpg20211015_205514647_iOS.jpg20211015_205519110_iOS.jpg20211015_205523800_iOS.jpg20211015_205634511_iOS.jpgConsole.JPG

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Great report. Thanks for taking the time for all these details. I’d be very happy with the performance you’ve seen thus far, and details of how the storage and other features work out for you in this reconfigured model are very worthwhile for us to hear. Amazing looking rig, too.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Well, for those saying they don't need a 520R. Yes, yes you do.

Thing rides almost as smooth as my 521L.

4. Member
    Great review and congrats on a beautiful new ride Is the center cleat an option or is that now standard on the R boat? The fit and finish in the pictures look amazingly good. Any comments there?

Congrats again and thanks for posting pics
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Again, Great report and what a nice looking rig you have there..... Congrats.

6. Member
    Center cleat is standard on both sides of the boat now. I didn't add it, but they did point it out to me at the Classic.

Fit and finish is fantastic. MUCH better than my 521L. The lids open easily. I couldn't open my battery lid on the 521L without opening one of the back compartments. These seem to have some space and they are symmetrical, so that's nice. Also, the storage lights come on when you open a lid, which was nice.

7. Member
    great information....

8. Member
    I just drooled a little on my keyboard.

9. Member
    Great write up, that new Ranger looks amazing and I am starting to warm up to the seats.

10. Member
    I guess you like white boats...

11. Member
    I have always wanted a white boat. I just think they look clean, but I get that they aren't for everyone. In Texas when it's 100 degrees from May to September, I found my blue/silver 521 would burn my arms when my skin touched them.

As far as the seats, I absolutely LOVE them. The slot behind the seat for your net is great and I just love the comfort of them. They are like sitting in big recliner.

The sea deck material in the floor is also nice. I actually vacuumed up some eggs I dropped in it without them getting smeared in the carpet.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Great write up, awesome rig!

Can't wait to get mine!

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

13. Member
    Congrats, awesome looking boat, that all white is a eye catcher for sure. Looking forward to your video!

14. Member
    Congrats!

Ranger Z185
    Etec G2 150 HO

15. Member
    Ranger Strong

16. Member
    Very nice. I am picking up mine tomorrow.

17. Member
    Beautiful! Congratulations on your new rig!

18. Member
    Good morning Bill. I am in the process of ordering a 520R also. One thing no longer available with this boat is the Loc-R-Bar option and my dealer has told me that they "think" the reason is that the inside of the gunnel is lower on the 520C boats and there may not be room for the metal insert in the hull. From the pics it looks like you have similar clearance, can you tell? Thanks

19. Member
    Excellent review and purchase!
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

20. Member
    That is a fine rig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast