Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weekend ULTREX misfortune

Last weekend I fished the KBN State Team Qualifier at Keystone in OK. The fishing was challenging to say the least. The bigger issue was my trolling motor falling off in the water. Not sure if it was just a calmative of many hits or what, but while trying to get a bait unhung in the rocks, my trolling motor hit a rock and fell in the water. There is only one little 5/16 1.5" bolt that holds the motor to the mount and it sheared off. No, I was not going very fast. The co-angler even remarked about me not going very fast when it hit.

The motor was not in the water very long. I hit the power poles to stop me and with the help of the co-angler, we pulled it back aboard. Time in the water was under a minute I would say. Of course there was no way to fix on the water so after fishing in spots with the poles down, we called it quits at 11am or so.

Found a lumber yard in Mannford and used an easy out to get the remnants of the bolt out and remounted the motor to the mount with a new bolt. Went back to the lake for a test and it seemed to work, but was a little intermittent. Decided I need to open the head up and let it dry out because the wires might have gotten a little wet. I knew the head was probably not water proof for under the water, but we do fish in the rain so it had to be mostly water resistant.

After a few hours tested the motor on the land and it seems to work alright, so I thought it was good to go. Was I wrong!!! It had no power at all, was as if the batteries were completely wore done. I knew that was not the case because every now and then at first I would get a burst of full power. Had to quit on Sunday around noon with no trolling motor power.

Last night I was able to take the motor apart at the bottom and this is what came out.
    20211018_175924.jpg
    I never dreamed in the short time it was in the water, this much could have got in. There was more on the front of the boat but I wiped it off before taking the picture.

Will try it out again once it airs out for a couple days.

2. Member
    Wow that is a lot of water. I had a bolt shear off on my Terrova this year and I don't think it has touched anything but water never ,never hit a rock, dock or log. Mine didn't come off but with the ramps on the Terrova it was a bear to get stowed. I hope it didn't affect the mother board or any other critical components. I bet that thing was heavy getting it back in the boat.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

3. Member
    Dam I bought a new Terrova this year. Sounds like I better be careful with it. Sure seems sturdy but I better watch where I'm going.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet1300 View Post
    Dam I bought a new Terrova this year. Sounds like I better be careful with it. Sure seems sturdy but I better watch where I'm going.
    Ratchet, I have zero complaints about the Terrova, except for that one bolt it has been flawless. I may have torqued that one during assembly. Otherwise it has been great!
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

5. Member
    So far mines been flawless too. no complaints yet. wish id have gotten one years ago. Spot lock is awesome.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

Ok, it is not working. Is there a trick to putting the motor back together? Maybe I am not fitting it correctly. Didn't pull completely apart, but did pull it out about 3/4" inch on the front.

7. Member
    Which part is not going back together? Is it the head, motor, or the whole unit in the track/housing? Also is it powering up okay now?
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

It is the motor. Powers up and the head will turn, but nothing out of the prop motor.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    It is the motor. Powers up and the head will turn, but nothing out of the prop motor.
    IDK it could be both electrical or mechanical at that point.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Have you tried different speed settings? I've had a similar experience with a motorguide some years ago. I got water in the motorhead and it would short out. It also caused some pretty major corrosion. You could have a bushing or bearing seizing up. I found that on lower speed there was enough drag from the corroded bushings that the motor would not turn, but I could get it to go if I helped it or increased the speed.

Vonny, I had it up all the way, it is variable speed though. It was suggested that it might be covered under my insurance because of hitting the rock and it falling off. I have filed a claim and we will see how it goes.

Good luck. I never did get mine back to normal and eventually replaced it.

13. Member
    Joel.
    What was outcome? Were you able to get it fixed? Best of luck and hope your back out fishing soon.
    William
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

It is toast, didn't even try to get it fixed. Got another one coming but it is backordered, they said it might take three months to get to me. Glad winter is coming and this didn't happen in the spring.

15. Member
    It is toast, didn't even try to get it fixed. Got another one coming but it is backordered, they said it might take three months to get to me. Glad winter is coming and this didn't happen in the spring.
    Sorry to hear that. If it had to happen though your right best time of the year to get a new one.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

16. Member
    Can you get the old one repaired for a spare or to resell ??

Quote Originally Posted by John Br. View Post
    Can you get the old one repaired for a spare or to resell ??
    It might be able to be repaired. Going to see if I can ever get things to slow down some.

The new motor came in and I installed it yesterday. Didn't get finished in time to take to the lake for a test. Did tweak my back some lifting that heady bastard up on the boat. Now to see if the old one can be fixed.

19. Member
    The new motor came in and I installed it yesterday. Didn't get finished in time to take to the lake for a test. Did tweak my back some lifting that heady bastard up on the boat. Now to see if the old one can be fixed.
    Glad to hear it.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

20. Member
    Glad you got back in service. I got a Garmin Force laying in the garage waiting on me to do some surgery. Mine broke off too, but it was a bit more traumatic.
    GETFISHED !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast