Motor sneezing occasionally

Hello everyone, i have a 1987 mariner 175 that i recently purchased a few months ago serial # OB251305, it starts up pretty good but having some problems after startup keeping it running. Generally idles ok in neutral but when in gear will often sneeze and quit. Last time out i gave it more gas with the hot foot just to up the rpm a little and it did much better, but if i let off the gas it wants to quit. I had it tuned up just after purchase and they said compression was good in all cylinders and it ran great. I’d like to fix this winter and maybe y’all can point me in the right direction. Any suggestions on where to begin? Also does anyone know the correct plugs for my motor? I have no manuals with the boat to go by. Thank you… also when i bought the boat i dumped the fuel and started with fresh cause it had been sitting a while so that shouldn’t be the problem

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to check through the bleed system for any split, broken or damaged hoses- and check fittings to make sure they each work correctly.

Verify pulse fuel pump is in good condition with no leaky gaskets or diaphragms.

Check for any vacuum/gasket leaks, or fuel leaks.

Verify carbs are clean, ALL jets are spotless, and that a complete Sync-n-Link procedure has been completed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you!