Removing an old Motorguide 50 bow mounted trolling motor issue

Looking for some advice. Im removing an old Motorguide bow mounted trolling motor off my 99 nitro. Looks like it was mounted with the motorguide isolator mounts so you dont need nuts underneath, not even sure how you could get in to put nuts underneath. Anyway, the bolts just spin, they dont back out at all. The mount is solid, not moving and the bolts just spin. Is there a trick or am I just going to end up drilling these things out?

Thank you!

2. Member
    If the bolts are just spinning then the nuts are seized to the bolt. See if you can put a saws-all blade under the mount and cut the bolts off.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    If the bolts are just spinning then the nuts are seized to the bolt. See if you can put a saws-all blade under the mount and cut the bolts off.
    Thanks, kind of what I figured I would have to do. Either that or drill the bolt out. Was hoping there was a trick.

4. Member
    I had an issue with an express boat that I could not access the nuts under the mount. There was just enough side wall to drill a 5" hole and add a deck plate with a removable cover. We were then able to get to the nut on the isolators and remove them. If you have the same set up you might try that. If not then
    One thing for sure is I don't recommend using isolators to bolt the new one down. May take some engineering to get it done.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    I had an issue with an express boat that I could not access the nuts under the mount. There was just enough side wall to drill a 5" hole and add a deck plate with a removable cover. We were then able to get to the nut on the isolators and remove them. If you have the same set up you might try that. If not then
    One thing for sure is I don't recommend using isolators to bolt the new one down. May take some engineering to get it done.
    There is pretty much zero room and I dont want to cut into the fiberglass. Ill either drill the bolts or cut them though not a ton of room to cut currently, its mounted tightly down. Ill hit them with some WD-40 in the morning and see if that helps with anything.

You may have to grind the top of the bolts off, then pull the mount up. Then you should be able to knock the rubber isolators in and start with new ones.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Well I would say you have only one choice. Drill the heads out and knock them into the hull.
    They do make fasteners that you can put in the hole and then screw a bolt into them and they will expand underneath. If you ever have to take them out they will unscrew and pop out. Use an anti seize compound on the bolts like neva seize.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Well I would say you have only one choice. Drill the heads out and knock them into the hull.
    They do make fasteners that you can put in the hole and then screw a bolt into them and they will expand underneath. If you ever have to take them out they will unscrew and pop out. Use an anti seize compound on the bolts like neva seize.
    I partly did this. I used a mini hacksaw then popped the remainder of the bolts down into the hull. Took a little elbow grease but all done now.

9. Member
    And here is another reason not to use those rubber thingies.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    And here is another reason not to use those rubber thingies.
    Im probably going to use them again . There is just no easy way to mount the motor with traditional bolts and nuts. I also dont see myself ever removing the new trolling motor.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyp View Post
    Im probably going to use them again . There is just no easy way to mount the motor with traditional bolts and nuts. I also dont see myself ever removing the new trolling motor.
    Well I have seen some difficult areas to install nuts and bolts, but never impossible. It's indeed your choice.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Well I have seen some difficult areas to install nuts and bolts, but never impossible. It's indeed your choice.
    If I was more mechanically inclined and had more time I may give it a go but Ill be going the easy route in this instance.