Thread: fuel pressure

fuel pressure

I have a 1999 mercury 200 hp efi s/n og8866278. How long should the fuel system hold pressure, the fuel pressure starts at 38psi and within and hour drop to 25psi this is with the motor not running, cannot find ant external leaks, is this pressure drop ok.

bob

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perfectly fine. For diagnostic purposes, I look at the pressure at idle, under acceleration, and 15/30/60 seconds after engine shut-down. Most engines lose up to 3-4 psi by 60 seconds (a few may hold pressure like a champ for hours).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    got lucky, took the front of the manifold off to see if any of the fuel injectors where leaking. found the bolt that hold the fuel rail loose, one was ready to fall out, tighten the bolts and everything seem to be working. had taken the boat to a repair shop because it would start but not run, they said they found two injectors bad and trash in the fuel pump. this the same shop that tested all of the original injectors and said they were good. will not use them again.

bob

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yikes!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor