Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbill View Post
    Ok, understand the heating, tell me about the toaster oven/ curing please? Thanks for the help!
    Powder paint needs to be baked on in order for it to be a good hard finish. Toaster ovens are widely used as the are cheap. I have baked thousands of jigs in my $2 garage sale toaster oven. They are notorious for being inaccurate so it takes some trial and error to get the setting that is best for you. Mine is adjusted and never gets the setting changed. 15 minutes gives me the best results.

2. Member
    Thanks Guys

I highly recommend making a powder bed as well and they can be made cheap. Fluid beds make the quality consistency so much better.

I made a few using about a 2 pieces of 2.5"ish long 3" diameter pvc, a coupling, an end cap, a brown paper sack filter, and a fitting to an airline. One of these probably cost me 4 dollars a piece and there are several videos on youtube.

Just a word of warning. Don't use the toaster oven for both food and heating lead/curing paint. Again all you need is a cheap one.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    I would not use a torch as you will melt the lead too quickly. I use an alcohol burner, used to use a candle but there was too much soot. The alcohol burner works great. Your heat times will vary based on the size of the jigs. I am generally painting crappie jigs from 1/80th up to 1/16th. Start with about 3 seconds per side of the jig, then a quick one second flip to rewarm the other side, and a quick dip in the powder. I hang them on a cookie cooling rack after the paint dip. There are faster ways to do it, but on a lazy night watching tv, I will crank out a big pile of jigs, just something to do in down time.

I'm using a candle, as you did in the past, and want to try the alcohol burner. Can you use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), or another type of alcohol is required? Thanks in advance.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon View Post
    I'm using a candle, as you did in the past, and want to try the alcohol burner. Can you use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), or another type of alcohol is required? Thanks in advance.
    You want to use Denatured Alcohol for the burner. You can find it at any hardware store or big box store in the paint department. Like 5 bucks a quart.

Thanks
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

Just a word of warning. Don't use the toaster oven for both food and heating lead/curing paint.
    I am not disagreeing with this, but what is the real hazard? Especially if there is no paint residue left in the oven or lead.....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    I am not disagreeing with this, but what is the real hazard? Especially if there is no paint residue left in the oven or lead.....
    If there really is no paint residue or lead left in the oven, then there is no hazard. I think the real hazard is: How sure are you that there's no paint residue or lead left in it? Is it worth risking it to save $20 or $30 on having a separate toaster oven for food?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    If there really is no paint residue or lead left in the oven, then there is no hazard. I think the real hazard is: How sure are you that there's no paint residue or lead left in it? Is it worth risking it to save $20 or $30 on having a separate toaster oven for food?
    No, the real hazard is your wife finding out.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12