Impulse Battery Report

I purchased a set of 60ah Impulse Platinum batteries from KandK Kustoms last month for my new Ultrex 112. I had Relion 50ah in a previous boat so I was comfortable ordering that size. I have used them on several fun fishing trips and they did great but they were not good tests of the batteries. This past Saturday was my first tournament with them. I fished 7:10am to 4:00pm and was hard on the TM all day with lots of spot-lock on humps and cruising the banks cranking. Most times I was on 7-8. The wind was 14mph in the early morning but quickly went up to 20 with gusts to 25. At the end of the day, I checked the batteries with the BT app said they were at 80-82%. I was expecting them to be a bit more drained. I am happy to be using LifePo batteries again.

I ordered them with trays but ended up not needing them. I used the installed BCB double tray. I removed the middle spacer, screwed in a 1/4-20 eye hook at both ends for a retaining strap. It was easy and cheap! The tray is a bit wider than the batteries so I used packing foam from the batteries to fill the gap.

BDE9842C-13C8-44DD-85C9-7CEB0BF99426.jpeg

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    I'm sorry as I'm still not understanding the the big deal of the lithium discharge rates. The above post is the way I find myself fishing many times over the last 30 years.
    I pay two hundred dollars for my two troller batteries and don't ever care my discharge rate at the end of the day as I have never ran out of battery in a tournament. I will just plug them in at the motel or at home.
    I replace my batteries every three years whether they need it or not.
    But with that said, I may soon fall into the lithium battery craze whether I need it or not.

3. Member
    I still havent made a move yet on a house battery. This post is good information! Impulse is the one i have been watching for awhile know. Thanks for the update!. I plan on purchasing a double tray and modifying it from BCB! I truly believe its the best on the market. My intent is to modify in such form a regular agm can be used if need be
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

good report! I'm getting close to changing out my starting/graph battery with him I think.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    I'm sorry as I'm still not understanding the the big deal of the lithium discharge rates. The above post is the way I find myself fishing many times over the last 30 years.
    I pay two hundred dollars for my two troller batteries and don't ever care my discharge rate at the end of the day as I have never ran out of battery in a tournament. I will just plug them in at the motel or at home.
    I replace my batteries every three years whether they need it or not.
    But with that said, I may soon fall into the lithium battery craze whether I need it or not.
    I understand, my brother does what you do. To each their own. I used to buy Walmarts as well but got tired of them giving out during the most inconvenient times, fading too fast, checking/adding water and just the general PITA with them. I fish year round and sometimes in remote places where charging is not possible or a pain. It is nice to be able to go somewhere the day before the tournament, fish all day, then get a hotel and not have to worry about whether they have hook ups to charge my batteries. I can afford them and like the luxury that these provide. The same reason my wife drives a Lexus vice a Hyundai.

I tend to buy the good stuff in most things. I always bought Northstar/X2 AGMs for trolling batteries that are in the $380-400 range and get 4+ years out if them. The batteries I bought above are $500 and will last double or triple that time so the extra $100 or so per battery is well worth it. The weight savings which equals less wear and tear on the boat, no maintenance, and the confidence that I have plenty of power no matter the weather conditions on the lakes I fish.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 10-18-2021 at 02:17 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Put a set of 60 ah impulse and 120 for electronics in a friend’s boat this weekend. We fished Sunday for 5 hours in calm conditions and were at 92 percent. Electronics battery ran 3-12 inch helixes and 10 inch garmin with livescope and it was at 90 percent.

7. Member
    06 SB thanks for the installation and fishing report with the Impulse batteries. Planning to the same in a couple weeks, but using the BBT MS-210 triple battery tray on port side.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Great report.. Anyone that knows me knows I refuse to sell Inferior products to my customers. If I wouldnt use it on my own boat I wont sell it to a customer to make $$. Anything I do sell you can walk over and find on my personal boat. With that said I spent over a year looking at many and I mean many lithium brands . I looked for a quality product with a great warranty at an reasonable price point. What we really looked for was when we talked to the owners of the company how they handle a problem and how fast... should one arise. ( things happen). I wont put my companies stamp of approval on any product we feel falls short of any of the above mentioned. We were very happy to have partnered with Impulse and provide BBC and our customers with what we feel is the best lithium out on the market. Anyone looking at lithium feel free to give me a call , I have no problem spending my time explaining to you all about lithiums and our brand I think when you hear what Impulse offers you would go with them over others however if you choose another brand then thats fine too.. Our 60 ah is a great fit in the market as alot of times a 50 ah falls short and a 100 ah is just overkill the 60 ah bridges that gap and on a 36 volt trolling system it will generally be more then what 95% of boats out there need. Our Plainum line features bluetooth monitoring, for those that feel they dont need it we do not make you spend the extra the 100 ah and 60 ah trolling are available without bluetooth saving you some $$. Our 120 Ah platinum cranking battery has been extensively tested on The pro XS four stroke as well as the SHO, G2 and G1 evinrudes, Honda and Suzuki SS. The BMS can accept up to 80 amps from the alternator making it safe with the new SHO as well. Find out the Impulse difference for yourself.
    IMPULSE offers a FULL 10 year repair or replace warranty.. NO PRORATION like others out there.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 10-19-2021 at 06:56 PM.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Great report.. Anyone that knows me knows I refuse to sell Inferior products to my customers. If I wouldnt use it on my own boat I wont sell it to a customer to make $$. Anything I do sell you can walk over and find on my personal boat. With that said I spent over a year looking at many and I mean many lithium brands . I looked for a quality product with a great warranty at an reasonable price point. What we really looked for was when we talked to the owners of the company how they handle a problem and how fast... should one arise. ( things happen). I wont put my companies stamp of approval on any product we feel falls short of any of the above mentioned. We were very happy to have partnered with Impulse and provide BBC and our customers with what we feel is the best lithium out on the market. Anyone looking at lithium feel free to give me a call , I have no problem spending my time explaining to you all about lithiums and our brand I think when you hear what Impulse offers you would go with them over others however if you choose another brand then thats fine too.. Our 60 ah is a great fit in the market as alot of times a 50 ah falls short and a 100 ah is just overkill the 60 ah bridges that gap and on a 36 volt trolling system it will generally be more then what 95% of boats out there need. Our Plainum line features bluetooth monitoring, for those that feel they dont need it we do not make you spend the extra the 100 ah and 60 ah trolling are available without bluetooth saving you some $$. Our 120 Ah platinum cranking battery has been extensively tested on The pro XS four stroke as well as the SHO, G2 and G1 evinrudes, Honda and Suzuki SS. The BMS can accept up to 80 amps from the alternator making it safe with the new SHO as well. Find out the Impulse difference for yourself.
    IMPULSE offers a FULL 10 year repair or replace warranty.. NO PRORATION like others out there.
    New pro xs 250 says 85 amp at wide open. Battery says it can only handle 80? Am I missing something?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    New pro xs 250 says 85 amp at wide open. Battery says it can only handle 80? Am I missing something?
    My guess is that while the alternator is rated at 85 amps, it can't and won't be making all of those amps available to the battery(s). A not inconsiderable number of amps are needed to operate the motor. Fuel injectors, fuel pump, ignition coils, sensors, ECU and such are drawing electrical power.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    My guess is that while the alternator is rated at 85 amps, it can't and won't be making all of those amps available to the battery(s). A not inconsiderable number of amps are needed to operate the motor. Fuel injectors, fuel pump, ignition coils, sensors, ECU and such are drawing electrical power.
    Makes sense

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Very True, as well as the battery will only accept what it needs . When we spoke to mercury the 85 amp rating was taken straight of the alternator at testing, there is some loss when controlling the rest of the components used to run the outboard as well as loss thru the wiring no that that matters however as a normal healthy battery with no cell issue is not going to accept the full amperage being put out by the alternator as there is no need, it will only take what it needs. Why we have no issues with the Impulse cranking BMS clicking off on any of the current outboards on the market its simply not getting/ or accepting anywhere near 80 amps. If I had to guess the threshold of the BMS is slightly above the rated max amperage of 80 amp as well. Always better to slightly underrate rather then overrate. The new SHO also splits there amperage having it directed to a 5th house battery if so wired and equipt, a very nice feature for those running that 5th house battery. They could go to a 120 amp output alternator and you still would be fine as the battery will never accept over what it is designed to accept.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 10-22-2021 at 08:16 AM.