WhT does barely hitting the rev limiter

What does barely hitting the rev limiter Feel like? When I raised my jackplate two years ago I would be skipping along great, then for about 2/3 seconds I'd loose 5-8% power, not really enough to do anything to the speed just enough I could tell it dropped the bow an inch. (Almost like when you go from a ripple to a high surface tension area with no ripple)

lowered back down 1/4"

well I swapped props and the same exact phenomenon has happened a few times. But then after the initial run on the next several runs it never happened and I can confirm rpms were higher later at about 6050 analogue tach.

Or am I to high and losing bite about to blow out? I can't imagine as I can turn the wheel all the way to either side and punch it on holeshot and our in any wave conditions it won't blow out.

first prop a couple years ago was a 25 tempest plus and now it's a 25 bravo xs.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 10-18-2021 at 09:01 AM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    “Limiter” isn’t an exact figure- it is best viewed as a window
    of approximately 400-500 RPM.

PCM may activate earlier depending on several factors (such as load).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sure I have read that and get the idea of it, but if rpms are slowly raising from 5600, I wouldn't suspect it to be coming on at 5950ish. I don't think load is an issue either as when it was loosing some power momentarily I was going into a wind and not exceeding top speed yet

has anyone felt the limiter in this motor? I have in many vehicles and it is much more of a hiccup in a vehicle probably because of more traction

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've hit it many times when testing. It's not quite the same as your earlier limit features, as the PCM actually REDUCES the available power percentage (initially) to limit the engine RPM's. That's the engine OVERSPEED stage.

Then comes "Abusive Overspeed- Stage-1", which occurs when you still don't reduce throttle position (PCM further reduces available power).

If the RPM's don't drop then, "Abusive Overspeed- Stage-2" can limit available power all the way to FORCED IDLE if required.

(The above is a highly-simplified version of the overall Guardian feature as it applies to exceeding the maximum WOT RPM's).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor