Vexus Boat Cover

I bought a used 2019 AVX 1980 a while back. I love the boat. I was thinking about getting a cover for it. I want it for travel but also to cover and keep rain out at night when I'm on multi day trips. Can anyone offer their comments on the Vexus covers? Good quality? Waterproof or only resistant? Do they travel well? Is there another company that makes a custom made that's better? I appreciate any feedback you can give.

I have one. It’s a piece of Kleenex and it doesn’t cover the splashwell so I’m constantly cleaning that. I need to get it modified.

They build them as a travel cover. I sent my boat back to the factory last year and when it came back the prop on my Ultrex had cut a hole in the cover and the strap holing it on rubbed the heck out of the paint on the hull. I spent a weekend with rubbing compound getting the rub marks out. Vexus did replace the cover with a new one.

I knew when I bought it I wouldn’t be happy with it but I also knew my cover guy would be 6-9 months out on building me a good one, that’s why I bought it, I store my boats outdoors. I knew I’d be disappointed going in.

I sealed the factory cover seams with Seamseale and treated it with Kiwi Campdry. It still leaks. I only use the factory cover in the summer because it’s light and easy to put on and take off.

I never trailer a boat with a cover on it, EVER. I don’t care what the manufacturer of the boat or cover maker tells me I know it will beat the heck out of the finish.

Just my IMHO and it’s worth exactly what you paid for it. But I would save $500.00 and buy a custom cover.
    Last edited by BigEasy; 10-17-2021 at 04:46 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks BigEasy. I appreciate the comments. All makes sense. Currently I just tarp it at night when I get to where I'm going. It has worked so far.

4. Member
    Mine works great, I have no complaints. Use it to travel 4 or 5 hours, I do use the stringer system, usually. I put a towel over the trolling motor prop.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

5. Member
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

6. Member
    I really like mine, yea, towel over the tolling motor. Longest trip was 12 hrs with a couple 2 hr one way trips. No issues, love this cover so far.

7. Member
    I too agree with big easy, I would never travel with a boat cover again after having done so in the past with my previous boat and being told that it was a travel cover. Just a 4hr trip had worn the paint off down to shinny aluminum. As far as the vexus cover I'm OK with it so far. Fortunately I'm able to keep mine in the garage unfortunately I have not had any overnight trips. I did treat the entire cover with a product manufactured by 303. Seems like it will work well if I had to cover it on a trip. Spraying the cover in the driveway with a hose water just runs right off.
    2019 AVX1980 Sumit White
    150hp Evinrude Etec G2
    Ultrex
    Garmin Echomap ultra 106sv bow/console
    Joined the revolution 10/25/19

8. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Just F Y I

Vexus Boat Covers are sold as "Mooring" covers, not a "Trailering" cover

9. Member
    I travel with mine regularly, I just don’t use the poles and it seems to be fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Just F Y I

Vexus Boat Covers are sold as "Mooring" covers, not a "Trailering" cover
    Thanks Steve, I never saw either mooring or travel cover definition in any Vexus published information. I came buy the “assumption” it was sold as a travel cover from a post on here.

It’s definitely a better cover than what you would source at Bass Pro/Cabela’s but I don’t like the factory cover nearly as much as my heavy duty custom cover. That being said my custom cover was 3.5 times the price of the factory cover.

11. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    No Sweat Keith

i wasn't trying to correct you only trying to making sure future customers were not confused.

12. Member
    I have a 21 1980 came with a travel cover its fantastic. Tows well on the hwy no issues. It has quick straps if you want to just cover it overnight

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emccarthy View Post
    I have a 21 1980 came with a travel cover its fantastic. Tows well on the hwy no issues. It has quick straps if you want to just cover it overnight
    Is it a Vexus brand travel cover? If you look above, Vexus's cover is only for mooring.

I travel with my cover and no issues. I fold a towel over the TM prop.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    Thanks everyone. Good to know.

Do they still come with a Dean cover or are they using someone new.