Longer rods for skipping Senkos?

I sold 7 ft 842s MF spinning rod to and replaced it with a 872s 7’3 M Extra Fast. I was pretty proficient at skipping with the 7 footer. The extra length of the 872s makes skipping a little more challenging. I can still do it, just not as well. Will I get better with practice or is a 7'3 rod simply too long for skipping?

I had the same issue when I went to the 872S for all my spinning gear. I went back and ordered the 852S as I felt it loaded up better with more of a moderate tip section than the 872S.

3. Member
    I use a 782 and would never consider a longer rod.

4. Member
    7-1 852 for me. Longer is do-able but seems like you need perfect angles..

5. Member
    I am probably going to sell me the 872s and get a. 852s. I have read that the tip is very fast. Still good for skipping?

6. Member
    Your personal height and the amount of 'space' you have around the boat matter in this situation. If you are 6'2" its going to be easier IMHO to skip with a 7'+ rod than if you are 5'7". If you are skipping in areas where you have more obstructions around you a longer rod is going to be tougher as well. I'm 6'3" and have skipped jigs with a 7'6" casting rod, but it wouldn't be my everyday choice and it is more challenging to be accurate. For skipping senkos I have a couple 7' MB XX ShakeyHead rods I use and really can't see a reason to go longer.