Thread: Time to Upgrade

Time to Upgrade

Hey guys looking for some input on this. I bought my first boat a little over a year ago, a 16 foot tracker Pro 160, admittedly when I bought it was still pretty green to boats, and by no means am I an expert now. I ultimately went with that boat because it was light and I was towing with a Ford Escape, if all goes as planned I should be in a truck by the end of the month, and after that happens the next step is to look for a bigger boat. Now being that I don’t want to make the same mistake twice I was wondering what kind of improvements you all would think I’d see if I went to a 17-18 foot fiberglass boat, really like those triton 179s/ nitro 17s with the 115hp motors, seems like I could get a pretty good deal on something like that used. How do boats this size handle rough water? Would it be a huge improvement over my current setup? I’m not looking to go fishing when it’s 30+mph wind but honestly some days on my lake if it gets over 10, I really have to limit where I fish and holding a spot can be a pain in the ass (ultrex will also be on next boat) not to mention anything past a small chop and it can become a pretty rough ride. Anyways any thoughts/opinions on this would be appreciated. I guess also worth mentioning I like the idea of having a more budget friendly /lighter rig, that being said do you think cost of ownership/overall use would change much from say a 17ft boat with a 115hp to 18 with a 150-200hp? Seems like once you get into an 18foot boat loaded down tandem trailer is more norm too….
    Last edited by Wildwestwashin; 10-17-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Given your main concern is the wind you may encounter. A glass boat will serve you better. Still can get wet, but will offer a better ride. That being said, there are some very nice tins, Lund for example that offer a great ride in rough conditions, but those are expensive.

I had an 18' Ranger 518 with a single axle trailer. Did just fine.

The new 4 strokes (all brands) are stingy on gas. (They have to be to meet Emission Laws!)

Good luck on what you decide!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Banned
    Most of the 17'5 foot fiberglass boat's I have looked at don't have nearly the amount of deck space as the same sized aluminum boat, so if that is a concern for you, a larger aluminum boat than what you have now or an 18-19' fiberglass boat might be a better choice. The most important thing no matter what boat you get is to always get the maximum HP motor available for that size boat.

4. Member
    Assume you fish mead? I’d honestly get the biggest boat you can swing, maybe even deep v if you fish mainly mead.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    Depending which truck you end up with will also determine how much boat you can swing. If the tow rating says 5000 lbs, please don't get a boat that weighs 4950. Rule of thumb has served me well is never go more than 75% of towing capacity.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Depending which truck you end up with will also determine how much boat you can swing. If the tow rating says 5000 lbs, please don't get a boat that weighs 4950. Rule of thumb has served me well is never go more than 75% of towing capacity.
    Thats a good rule of thumb. Obviously if you only fish the ramp two miles away you can push it a little bit, but if you do some long distance travel (easy to do fishing the west) you don’t want to push it.

7. Member
    I do fish mead and Mohave a lot however I also go on a lot of trips to California, Arizona, and Utah with my rig so not always on big water and honestly I have no interest in fishing mead after the wind breaks about 20mph, I’ve been out there a few times where it is unsafe for my current boat, I don’t think I’d be having a fun time fishing in those conditions in any boat. And I would like to stay with a bass boat type hull, as it does suit my fishing style.

8. Member
    Potentially looking at midsize trucks maybe full size, if I go that route I’m looking for a minimum of about 6,500lbs towing capacity, I would think that’s be fine for most glass boats under 20’. With that being said i would like to keep weight down if possible.

9. Loser
    My first boat was a 17.5ft 125hp. I loved it. But when it came time to sell, nobody wanted it. Tried 3 different times to sell it. Small fiberglass boat with small engines may not resell well. But that means you can find a deal. I stole mine because the seller had it up for 11 months.
    "There is nothing more free, than one who has nothing to lose"

10. Member
    A 17-18ft fiberglass will do just fine. Don’t forget to also take a look at charger, bass cat, and progator boats as they both make a ~17’7 that will hold a 150 and rides well. But if your stuck on triton 179 or the 17ft nitro I would get the triton as performance will be close, but you get a foot longer space with the triton actually being an 18ft boat. Also I wouldn’t count out aluminum entirely. Got family friends who use a tracker 190 pro on Teledo bend and Sam Rayburn a lot. Both big lakes in Texas that gets nasty. Just food for thought

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwestwashin View Post
    I do fish mead and Mohave a lot however I also go on a lot of trips to California, Arizona, and Utah with my rig so not always on big water and honestly I have no interest in fishing mead after the wind breaks about 20mph, I’ve been out there a few times where it is unsafe for my current boat, I don’t think I’d be having a fun time fishing in those conditions in any boat. And I would like to stay with a bass boat type hull, as it does suit my fishing style.
    With long hauls, I would really look at tandem axle rigs. My tandem axle z20 tows much nicer than my old tracker 195 even though it weighs a ton more.

12. Member
    I fish same water as you and my first bass boat was a 99 tracker 185. Fished that boat for 3 years and had the itch to upgrade and found a great deal on my 04 ChampioN 188 and it was the best decision I ever made. Ive been through some nasty weather on Mohave in both rigs and the glass boat is hands down 1000% safer and a dry ride.

Good luck getting your new rig and check western bass for some good deals closer to home
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    With long hauls, I would really look at tandem axle rigs. My tandem axle z20 tows much nicer than my old tracker 195 even though it weighs a ton more.
    This is my same experience going from a Tracker 175 to a 20 ft Triton.
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades