Somewhere between here and there, but not in the middle.

Talking the wife into a Rec Tec 700

"Do you really need another grill?" she asks. she does have a point. I own and use the heck out of a Masterbuilt Smoker and a 2 year old Weber Spirit. I enjoy the process of making homemade bacon, brisket, Ribs, pork shoulders, reverse seared steaks, ect, ect. I get by with what I have now so why do I need another grill? I tell my wife, "this one has horns on it!". All I get in response is an eye roll. Ive you-tubed the Rectec 700 to death. It looks as if this machine will do what my other two units do in one. I see that it tips the scales at 200 pounds! Is it easy enough to roll around on its own or would I also need to purchase the Comp cart? Decisions decisions......

2007 Legend Alpha 199 / 225 ProXs

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyjunkie View Post
    "Do you really need another grill?" she asks. she does have a point. I own and use the heck out of a Masterbuilt Smoker and a 2 year old Weber Spirit. I enjoy the process of making homemade bacon, brisket, Ribs, pork shoulders, reverse seared steaks, ect, ect. I get by with what I have now so why do I need another grill? I tell my wife, "this one has horns on it!". All I get in response is an eye roll. Ive you-tubed the Rectec 700 to death. It looks as if this machine will do what my other two units do in one. I see that it tips the scales at 200 pounds! Is it easy enough to roll around on its own or would I also need to purchase the Comp cart? Decisions decisions......
    I don’t have a rec tec , but I have two very close friends that do and when I finally pull the trigger on a pellet grill it will definitely be the RecTec. They absolutely love theirs, temperature is consistent, and I’ve had food off of them and it’s always delicious. It could be worse, I have six grills on the patio. You only live once buddy…. Lol I do need to sell at least one.
    Last edited by itsahog; 10-19-2021 at 10:37 PM.

3. Member
    I have had the 700 for about a year now, nothing bad to say about it, I had a Traeger for 10 years prior to that. The Rec Tec's are built to last, you will need a buddy to help assemble it. I do not have the comp cart, mine rolls fine with out it. I will say if you set it on 225 it stays on 225, my old Traeger drifted a lot more so I had to get used to longer cook times. I would recommend putting some of the 1/2" wide high temp barbeque felt where the lid seats against the body of the grill, it will keep the smoke from staining the outside of the grill. They run some pretty good specials around Thanksgiving that is when I purchased mine last year, mine came with a free RT-G450 Gas Wok Cooker. I fell your pain on the wife thinking you have to many grills, I have an egg, Blackstone and my 700. I had to gift my old Webber gas grill to a nephew that needed a grill once I got the Blackstone.

Good luck.

I've had the 700 a little over a year now. I don't have the comp cart, mine rolls fine with out it. It's been a learning curve to cook on, I also have a gas, charcoal, and a propane smoker. The 700 does a good job once I learned the temps needed and depending on the pellet brands (which some produce more smoke than others) of how long to smoke on low before I turn up the temp to finish. One problem I encountered was the wifi settings only work on 2.4 ghz, once I installed a new router 5Ghz, the rec tec wouldn't work through the app but would work manually. I had to have my old router working just for the 700 wifi to connect to my phone. I've done chops, ribs, butts, pizza, mac & cheese and chicken all on the 700 but I still prefer the steaks on charcoal. Although I've purchased some charcoal flavored pellets to try soon. I really like being able to turn it on from anywhere I get a signal and not having to sit and monitor it all the time. Set it and forget it. Rec tec has some great accessories and a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. Hope this helps and good luck.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

5. Member
    Do it!

6. Member
    I have the 700. No regrets

7. Moderator
    Never heard a bad word on any Rec Tec cooker.

8. Member
    The Rec-Tec is an awesome piece !!!

9. Member
    Looking to purchase a Rec-Tec, debating on which one. There’s only two of us and we occasionally doa whole turkey or three pork shoulders.

any advice from current owners?

The 700 can do 3 11 to 12 lb butts, I haven't cooked shoulders in a long time.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybfishing View Post
    The 700 can do 3 11 to 12 lb butts, I haven't cooked shoulders in a long time.
    Thank you very much…looks like the 700 it is!

12. Member
    Well......did you get it??

John

The wife finally caved! I got clearance from the keeper of the purse! A call to RecTeq will be made tomorrow and we shall see what becomes of the future.

14. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Just pulled the pin on the Mighty Bull! Now it's a waiting game.

16. Member
    You will not be disappointed. Its actually an addiction��