Local story causing a stir

This happened a couple weeks ago at a local high school. Public opinion has been hotly debated. Thoughts?

https://www.krmg.com/news/local/grou...HYRRBKCOI2F7E/

A few details I can add from what I've heard and read elsewhere. This occurred after practice but on school grounds. I understand some of the staff has said that any student not wishing to participate was free to leave but some of the players said they were directed after practice to go to the area where the baptisms were going to be done.
    Full blood Nikonian

2. Member
    I personally think school systems should keep God in the class room and other areas of the school. If the kids wanted to be baptized on school grounds then so be it. Unfortunately, the law prevents religious activities in the school system; therefore, it should not have occurred. It easily could have been done off school grounds and on a voluntary basis.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    I personally think school systems should keep God in the class room and other areas of the school. If the kids wanted to be baptized on school grounds then so be it. Unfortunately, the law prevents religious activities in the school system; therefore, it should not have occurred. It easily could have been done off school grounds and on a voluntary basis.
    I agree with your opening sentence, and if Broken Arrow HS is a public school, you are right about the separation of church and state law, which would not apply to private school.

Though, it makes me wonder why they are surprised how the clowns from Freedom from Religion Foundation found out, since the students posted on facebook making it known to the world.
    I am surprised that there ain't some other group filing legal action about the school's name, which could be politically correct toward indigenous people otherwise known as American Indians. ( I don't know if I can call them that or if I am being offensive)

4. Member
    Broken Arrow is a suburb of Tulsa. It's a public school and actually the largest high school in the state. I've read the story online from a few different sources and the reader comments are interesting. Lots of people are giving kudos to the school for allowing the baptisms while others strictly want separation of church and state. I think most of the people who support the baptisms would definitely feel differently if their Christian kids had been exposed to some sort of ritual related to islam, hinduism, or buddhism. A lot of the people commenting are really firing back and forth at each other. It's funny to hear people who complain about things they feel are forced on them show total support if it's their religion being force-fed to others. Let me be clear that I don't think any of the students were forced to be baptized. Some of the witnesses do indicate that they weren't given an option to not witness the event.
    Full blood Nikonian

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    I agree with your opening sentence, and if Broken Arrow HS is a public school, you are right about the separation of church and state law, which would not apply to private school.

Though, it makes me wonder why they are surprised how the clowns from Freedom from Religion Foundation found out, since the students posted on facebook making it known to the world.
    I am surprised that there ain't some other group filing legal action about the school's name, which could be politically correct toward indigenous people otherwise known as American Indians. ( I don't know if I can call them that or if I am being offensive)
    I can't believe you said the word Indian! I'm 1/16th Cherokee and I am so offended!
    Full blood Nikonian

Logistics could of been planned a little better to avoid any confrontation. Refreshing to see what the individuals did though.....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonG View Post
    I can't believe you said the word Indian! I'm 1/16th Cherokee and I am so offended!
    I thought the baptism was on a voluntary bases, and I hope that you are not too offended, since the Italian community has decided to share Columbus day with your people now known as Columbus day/ Indigenous people day. If I was part of the American Indian community, I would be offended for the use of indigenous changes since that is a generic word applicable to anyone or anything.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    I thought the baptism was on a voluntary bases, and I hope that you are not too offended, since the Italian community has decided to share Columbus day with your people now known as Columbus day/ Indigenous people day. If I was part of the American Indian community, I would be offended for the use of indigenous changes since that is a generic word applicable to anyone or anything.
    I'll try not to get too offended since I'm only one paper cut away from losing all the Indian blood I have, LOL
    Full blood Nikonian

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonG View Post
    I'll try not to get too offended since I'm only one paper cut away from losing all the Indian blood I have, LOL