Smartcraft oil level gauge

Hello to everybody.
    I have a 2004 150 optimax #0T971280
    I have a square mercmonitor 3.04 sw version
    I have the speed/oil/fuel harness with speed wheel
    I have a 10liters oil tank with oil level sender.
    I buy a oil level gauge 79-879911-k1 but it does not work
    I have conneced the oil tank to blu and to black/red cable and activate the instrument from cal2 but oil level gauge does not move.
    I have tried to connect the oil tank to ground and connect only the blue cable but nothing changed.
    I have tried to test sender and it show me about 150 ohm when it is disconnected from smartcraft harness.
    Oil level gauge does not show anything.
    Should it not compatible with my smartcraft?

2. Member
    I have disconnected other system link gauge for test (trim-speed-rpm) but nothing changed.
    Mercmonitor is connected to engine with a blue cable.
    On the boat side the blue cable have also a connector for system link gauge.

3. Member
    I read online that someone solved by connect together ground despite mercury warning. But I am worried to damage PCM doing this..
    https://www.justanswer.com/boat/8uvp...st-fitted.html

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NO-No-NEVER!!!!!

Is your blue cable connected
    to the back of your System Monitor (directly)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    yes my blue cable is connected directly to the back of my system monitor

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure the sender is positioned correctly:

Connect Blue w/Black Stripe (Tank-2) wire to one teet/terminal, and connect the OTHER teet/terminal directly to BATTERY GROUND.

ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER WIRES CONNECTED.

Verify harness is properly connected at the engine, and all pins are in place.

In Cal-2, set Tank-2 to OIL, 3 gallons, and use the DEFAULT calibration method. Continue through to the end of Cal-2 and exit the settings so that the gauge reboots.

Should work on the GAUGE at this point... then simply connect the System Link connector (on blue harness) to the System Link fuel gauge.***

*** Note to others: DO NOT apply this advice to other setups. MOST installations today CANNOT use the system link wiring on the blue cable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    This is exactly what I do but it does not work.
    Harness is connected well in the engine.
    I have connected gauge directly to blue cable but it doesn't move.
    When I select oil as type of tank in the cal2 menu it doesn't ask me type of calibration. I continue till the end and then exit by pressing both button.
    I have tried to activate also tank 1 and system monitor show me fuel alarm so I think to have saved correctly the setup but I am not able to see oil level on the gauge.

8. Member
    Does I need to turn on engine to see oil level?
    I only start electrical instrument by make a first turn of the key because now boat is not on water and I need to plug water on the engine to turn on it.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The lanyard needs to be in place, and the key needs to be in the RUN position in order for Smartcraft Instruments to function.

10. Member
    System monitor is working so I think also oil gauge must to work

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, it should. Does the backlight in the oil gauge illuminate when the key is turned on?

12. Member
    Yes the oil gauge is illuminated

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Go through the displays on the System Monitor. Does the System Monitor display Tank-2 (or Oil) correctly?

14. Member
    In the system monitor there is no the display of tank-2.
    I have no this display.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check through the Cal-1 and Cal-2 settings, make sure Tank-2 is turned ON. If it is not, you will not have any display.