Mercury proxs 4 stroke 250 - voltage issue

Short version - voltage dropped to 11 then 10V and at 11 and change boat alarmed and started reducing power. Do these motors utilize alternators and is it a clear diagnosis of alternator failure if so?

I charge my cranking battery about once a month on a charger, run boat probably 4-5 trips monthly. Actually charged it last night, started at 65%. Strangely the motor started getting sluggish, lagging when put in gear and taken out. Finally alarmed and noted voltage drop on smart craft gauge finally, put my noco charger backup jump box on long enough to get safely back somewhere but battery essentially got so low on volts motor finally wouldn’t do anything. Given shop doesn’t open until Monday any ideas what I might can check for? Assuming these motors have alternators and maybe simply a belt came off?? If they use stators guess I’ll wait for shop. Not heard anyone having any similar issues such as this so any advice appreciated. Have a three day tourney next week and trying to expedite repairs (as it always seems). Hopefully is simple as failed part repair. Thanks in advance. Will circle back and add serial when I get back to boat. This is a 2019 250hp 4stroke with 335hrs, fully serviced by shop @ 320hrs. Will have it to them Monday if I don’t self correct tomorrow

2. Member
    Found the problem. Belt was absolutely demolished, was too hard to see on the water oddly enough based on time of day, wind, waves, etc. and we were in a rush to get fish to weigh in and get paid. Either way, inspected it and for some reason belt was in shards all over inner cowling. Cleaned it all up and now to get a new belt installed and verified no alignment issues.

3. Banned
    Before Don Weed asks you, post your motor serial number per forum instructions at top .

4. mikesxpress
    Once that belt shreds you have to clean every piece off the inside of the cowl and inside the intake. The air induction will pull every bit into the engine.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    chalked up as a bad belt and just replaced and moved on.