2000 Mercury Optimax 150 check engine light above 4200 RPM?

Hello,
    Have 150 Opti with 35 hours...on a Champ 186 with 24 pitch Trophy plus...I get a check engine light above 4200 rpm that will go out when I back off throttle below 4200rpm...if I throttle thru to WOT to 5700 rpm at 59 mph nothing further happens...no audible alarms, no governer comes on...you would never know there is a problem if check engine light didn't come on? Motor did have the old fuel line from fuel tank to engine that had the liner fail which I replaced...also replaced fuel filter which had fuel line liner remnants inside...any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated

2. SMSgt USAF Retired Hauckster64's Avatar
    Update...found oil leak behind oil pump bell housing that could be throwing the check engine at high RPM demand...in addition there is a you tube video of a guy with 225 Optimax oil pump leak that changed internal o-ring and saved big money...I will be trying that procedure to Corte t malfunction...Will update when complete

3. Member
    Do a search here or in the 3L forum about the supposed o-ring "fix". Best to bite the bullet and get a genuine Merc oil pump vs taking out your engine.

Might also take moment to read the announcement at top of forum for required infor when posting - Please READ BEFORE Posting
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably a totally different oil pump than those being discussed, anyway.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

There are several dozen possible faults that can cause that light to illuminate. Really need to get the engine on a diagnostic system to look at the Fault History/Counters and determine what is going on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. SMSgt USAF Retired Hauckster64's Avatar
    Yes you are correct...the model 150 Optimax I have serial # Ot103744 oil pump does not have an oring and only has three allen head bolts vs 4 on the 225 optimax...I removed the oil pump today took off cover cleaned up and thread locked the bolts, reinstalled and still leaked...new pump on order...having a lake diagnostic run tomorrow��