Thread: Preterist View

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Preterist View

As I understand it (and please correct me if I am wrong), Preterists believe the end of age has come (AD70). That believers and non-believers have been judged, Christ’s 1000 year reign has been completed, Satan was let loose for a short time, and has since been thrown into the lake of fire for eternity. My questions are:

1) Are we (today) still living under the curse of sin (influence of Satan) or is immorality simply a learned culture from when Satan was on the earth?

2) Are we still under the Bible’s requirements to be saved (forgiveness of sins, accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ)?

3) is God present on the earth today or are we left to our own decisions/vices?

4) Will there be another judgement of believers and non-believers? If so, how will the end come for us?

I am truly interested for understanding.

2. Member
    Ok….I did some research and think I found the answers (full Preterist):

1) Are we (today) still living under the curse of sin (influence of Satan) or is immorality simply a learned culture from when Satan was on the earth?

***we are continuing in a learned culture….Satan is in Hell.

2) Are we still under the Bible’s requirements to be saved (forgiveness of sins, accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ)?

***unclear….Ephesians 2:8-9 says we must have faith in Jesus Christ to be saved. If we don’t believe that Christ came in AD70 as Jesus stated (Preterist view), then those that still await Jesus’ second return don’t have faith in His Words. It is somewhat analogous to the unbelieving Jews.

3) is God present on the earth today or are we left to our own decisions/vices?

***Essentially left to our own devices and humans will eventually destroy the earth

4) Will there be another judgement of believers and non-believers? If so, how will the end come for us?

*** when you die, you will simply go straight to heaven or hell

How does a Preterist view question #2 above?
    Last edited by Chisco; 10-16-2021 at 03:36 PM.

3. Member
    Chisco, it is so much more complicated than asking the questions you have asked. The answer to your questions are as varied amongst preterist as they are any other type of believers in Christ.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Chisco, it is so much more complicated than asking the questions you have asked. The answer to your questions are as varied amongst preterist as they are any other type of believers in Christ.
    This clearly point to the reason why there is many that feel the same as Houston G has expressed about religion being filled with many conflicting issues and creating confusion.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Not arguing….just a general observation adding to Digthemup’s post above…..it seems the various eschatological beliefs are getting so difficult that only the wise and highly educated can understand the Bible. Yet, the wise still see it differently. Thankfully, God says there is only one way to Him and that is through Jesus Christ.

6. Member
    The Bible is not supposed to be hard to understand that only the “wise” can understand it. If you’re still here on earth then you have to make a choice of what to do with Jesus. Believe He was the Son of God,paid our debt for sin, repent,and then start living for Him. This preterist view looks like it might be straight from satan himself. After all, he is the author of confusion.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply_M View Post
    The Bible is not supposed to be hard to understand that only the “wise” can understand it. If you’re still here on earth then you have to make a choice of what to do with Jesus. Believe He was the Son of God,paid our debt for sin, repent,and then start living for Him. This preterist view looks like it might be straight from satan himself. After all, he is the author of confusion.
    As I understand eschatology, I would likely be labeled a pre-millennialist. I personally think we are still early in God’s timeline before the second coming of Christ and I believe the Holy Spirit provides me with comfort in that view. There is far too much scripture in support of my view for me to disregard it for another, including full preterism.

Preterism was a totally new term to me when I came to the board a short while back so it did confuse me. While I am still obviously confused, I have learned a little bit about their doctrine with help from Godsdozer. But as he stated, Preterism is far too complicated to answer some of my questions above in simple terms.

8. Member
    This preterist view looks like it might be straight from satan himself. After all, he is the author of confusion.
    So what about all the different denominations within Christianity? They all only exist because of different interpretations of scripture. Since they can't all be right, and they're confusing, are all the wrong ones a product of Satan? Which one is right?
    Full blood Nikonian

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    As I understand eschatology, I would likely be labeled a pre-millennialist. I personally think we are still early in God’s timeline before the second coming of Christ and I believe the Holy Spirit provides me with comfort in that view. There is far too much scripture in support of my view for me to disregard it for another, including full preterism.

Preterism was a totally new term to me when I came to the board a short while back so it did confuse me. While I am still obviously confused, I have learned a little bit about their doctrine with help from Godsdozer. But as he stated, Preterism is far too complicated to answer some of my questions above in simple terms.
    When you say there's too much scripture that supports your view, what about the scripture that doesn't support your view? It's still the word of God isn't it? I'm not saying that in support of preterism, I'm asking because you have stated previously that you believe the Bible to be the infallible word of God. How do you toss aside the verses that support preterism? This is a serious question because it sounds like you cherry pick your scripture based on what agrees with your ideas. Doesn't all of Gods word need to be considered?
    Full blood Nikonian

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonG View Post
    When you say there's too much scripture that supports your view, what about the scripture that doesn't support your view? It's still the word of God isn't it? I'm not saying that in support of preterism, I'm asking because you have stated previously that you believe the Bible to be the infallible word of God. How do you toss aside the verses that support preterism? This is a serious question because it sounds like you cherry pick your scripture based on what agrees with your ideas. Doesn't all of Gods word need to be considered?
    Good question….I don’t toss aside those scriptures. All scriptures fit perfectly in my belief. The difference is that a full Preterist interprets them much differently. So much so that I would call it radically different. I imagine that a full Preterist would find my interpretation radically different from theirs. Who is right right and who is wrong? I rely on the Holy Spirit to comfort me in finding the right Biblical view. Full Preterists don’t believe the Holy Spirit is with us today so they rely on their own wisdom and education to interpret scripture.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonG View Post
    So what about all the different denominations within Christianity? They all only exist because of different interpretations of scripture. Since they can't all be right, and they're confusing, are all the wrong ones a product of Satan? Which one is right?
    The ones that preach Jesus is the one and only Son of God,1/3 of the trinity,died to pay the penalty of sin,and was resurrected on the third day and now sits at God’s right hand. What Paul preached and wrote about in all his writings and said if anyone came preaching anything different let him be accursed. What was taught by the apostles and not what man has twisted and added to to make different denominations. Following Jesus is personal. You have to have the Holy Spirit to guide you and help you understand the Word of God. If you’re lost and not been redeemed, you probably will struggle knowing which one is right.

12. Member
    I guess I’m late to the show. Which verses support preterism? Don’t type the whole verse, just book chapter verse.

13. Member
    I guess I’m late to the show. Which verses support preterism? Don’t type the whole verse, just book chapter verse.
    Read the post “Did Jesus really mean what He said to His disciples.”
    he quoted Matthew 10:23 as a starting point.

14. Member
    I gave my opinion to that one. You can’t let one verse contradict another verse. There are no errors in God’s word. Also, God is very patient. Doesn’t make sense to have Jesus return after only 37 years. Not enough time for the whole world to hear the gospel and be saved. What about the tribulation? 1000 year reign? Armageddon? New heaven and earth? God making His throne with His people? Haven’t heard about any of these coming to pass. Also most scholars put the book of revelations being written around 90ad.

15. Member
    I gave my opinion to that one. You can’t let one verse contradict another verse. There are no errors in God’s word. Also, God is very patient. Doesn’t make sense to have Jesus return after only 37 years. Not enough time for the whole world to hear the gospel and be saved. What about the tribulation? 1000 year reign? Armageddon? New heaven and earth? God making His throne with His people? Haven’t heard about any of these coming to pass. Also most scholars put the book of revelations being written around 90ad.
    Agree…although Full Preterists believe all those events have passed. They believe the world is beyond the time that Satan is thrown in the pit forever and the world is no longer tempted by Satan nor is the Holy Spirit present. We are simply left to our devices through eternity. Preterists set the writing of Revelation at or about 65 AD.

Godsdozer is a Full Preterist and he can explain further or correct me, if willing.

16. Member
    The ones that preach Jesus is the one and only Son of God,1/3 of the trinity,died to pay the penalty of sin,and was resurrected on the third day and now sits at God’s right hand. What Paul preached and wrote about in all his writings and said if anyone came preaching anything different let him be accursed. What was taught by the apostles and not what man has twisted and added to to make different denominations. Following Jesus is personal. You have to have the Holy Spirit to guide you and help you understand the Word of God. If you’re lost and not been redeemed, you probably will struggle knowing which one is right.
    You didn't give a direct answer to my question. Without regard to which one is right, are you saying all the denominations with different beliefs are a product of satan? And for the record, preterism acknowledges everything you stated in your first sentence, yet you quickly labeled it as being directly from Satan. Can you explain without talking around the question?
    Full blood Nikonian

17. Member
    Then what is your response directly to that verse? You can't just say it doesn't make sense and push it aside. It says what it says, and it's about as straightforward and concise as a statement can be. How do you interpret it to indicate a coming that is thousands of years in the future?
    Full blood Nikonian

18. Member
    Mark 10:15 15Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

Matthew 19:13-14 13Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. 14Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

I don't think many children have it all figured out.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

19. Member
    In regards to Mathew 10:23, I believe Jesus was referring to His coming ministry which hadn’t truly started yet when He sent the 12 out. He sends them out and starts to go around preaching,healing,and forgiving sins. He was only thought of as a teacher.

To be left here on earth with no hope,sounds like something satan would say. He wants you to join him in the lake of fire. Satan will use a little truth and twist it to “blind” you. Sure he will acknowledge Jesus is the Son of God and yes He paid your sin debt,but now you have no chance to be saved because everything has been fulfilled and you’re left here with no hope.
    Last edited by Simply_M; 10-18-2021 at 08:24 AM.

20. Member
    In regards to Mathew 10:23, I believe Jesus was referring to His coming ministry which hadn’t truly started yet when He sent the 12 out. He sends them out and starts to go around preaching,healing,and forgiving sins. He was only thought of as a teacher.

To be left here on earth with no hope,sounds like something satan would say. He wants you to join him in the lake of fire. Satan will use a little truth and twist it to “blind” you. Sure he will acknowledge Jesus is the Son of God and yes He paid your sin debt,but now you have no chance to be saved because everything has been fulfilled and you’re left here with no hope.
    In regards to your interpretation of Matthew 10:23, that's some interesting translational gymnastics you're using there. But like you said, it's what "you believe." The problem is that you can look at any verse and say "I believe" to interpret the meaning to fit whatever you want. If I said to you, "I'll come by your house this evening before the sun sets" I suppose you could say I was using the word " this" in reference to an evening 10 years from now if that's how you CHOOSE to interpret it. That's what your doing here.

Where did you get the idea that preterism believes we're all here without hope? From my understanding it's actually quite the opposite. Dozer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure preterism comes down on the side of inclusion where those believing go to heaven and those who don't simply die. They don't believe in a lake of fire that awaits non-believers. It's strange to me that you see it as somehow alarming when in reality it's more comforting than traditional teachings. I guess it's human nature, but for some reason people love to fear The Boogeyman.

P. S. I'm still waiting for you to tell me about the denominations that are the product of Satan. Which denomination are you? Is it the one that's got it all right?
    Full blood Nikonian

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast