Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best budget rod for tournament angler

Well as a tournament angler, you need alot of setups.
    Qnd as a working man it gets expensive.

I have tried many rods, from enigma,13 fate,defy,carbontlite 2.0,several lews rods,reaper rods,dobyns fury,etc

Love the fury is a nice rod, but at 130 bucks to switch over 40 rods will add up. I also must say both 13 rods i have are actually really good for the money.
    Enigma rods are nice and i get a good discount but my god 40 dollars for shipping hurts. Otherwise id be ordering enigma rods.
    I really like the carbonlite 2 also just again in that 120+ range.

Btw im looking for more soft bait stuff, wobble head texas rig,etc.

JUST curious if maybe there is a rod im missing thats a good rod for the money.

I know yall will have some sleepers

2. Member
    Looking into the iROD Genesis III huge bang for your buck, lightweight and balanced with excellent sensitivity, they have a few that are great multipurpose sticks also.

3. Member
    St Croix BassX or Fenwick would be my choice
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Kistler has some good sales quite often.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Falcon Low Rider or Expert series
    Incredible sticks for the money !
    They have some phenomenal different technique specific rods .

spend a little more …. Shimano Expride without question.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

6. Member
    If I read your post right you are thinking of replacing 40 rods? My advice would be to go with half as many and invest in higher quality. Twenty rods would cover just about everything. Most places have free shipping over $50 and if you find a sale you can save 15-20%. I would also buy rods with a good warranty. If you want to save a few bucks more go with less expensive options on moving baits and spend more on a couple decent rods for feel presentations.

7. Member
    Get 15 rod setups and call it good.
    Unless your tournament fishing for a living why take care of 40 rods and reels??

8. Member
    Steve D yeah ive tried but, down here in florida we have so many lakes that are muddy, then the next lake is clear, and i may fish one tournament one day in a mud hole, next day in a clear spring fed lake.so its tough to switch overnight, on top of that i like to have duplicate setups on the 2 or 3 rods i plan to throw that day the most,incase of rake off.

But i guess my best bet is just to start chipping away, buy a couple rods at a time, after i switch a couple sell the old rods,and just keep going.

I was really just looking to hopefully hear of a rod that i haven't thought about, that actually may go on sale �� considering i have yet to see a dobyns fury on sale lol, i love that rod.

9. Member
    Because 15 wont cut it down here, and i tournament fish alot, not for a living but i am hoping to fish bfls next year start hitting the opens as well. Impossible when i fish a shallow muddy lake one day where i throw 65# braid, then next day on a clear lake where its deep, then add in 3 or 4 duplicate backup rods, adds up pretty fast.

I just am gonna start buying couple at a time.

Just hoping to hear of a good rod i hadnt thought about maybe i catch on sale

10. Member
    Daiwa tatulas. Currently replacing SOME of my rods with them. Just purchased 6 recently but they are hard to find in stock, I would look everyday on several websites and snatch them up when they became available.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Daiwa tatulas. Currently replacing SOME of my rods with them. Just purchased 6 recently but they are hard to find in stock, I would look everyday on several websites and snatch them up when they became available.
    Which Tatula’s ? The elite or the regular with cork handles ?
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

12. Member
    ARK

13. Member
    I see what your saying about lake conditions
    And setup needs
    i still would rather have fewer setups with nicer reels and more sensitivity in-the rod

14. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Another vote for the Fenwick rods. The world class series are top notch.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

15. Member
    If you need 40 rods you ain't found them. Get a dozen or so of whatever you like. Anybody will give you a discount if you buy that many at once.
    I would step up in quality with fewer rods. Maybe Loomis for the bottom contact and save some on the moving bait rods.
    Last edited by rangerjockey; 10-17-2021 at 06:10 AM.

I would second ARK rods. The Tharp series, Cobb Series, and the Lancer Series are all good rods. They are all 40 Ton Torray and the only difference is the components on the rod.

If you need variety and want a step up in components the Invoker series has just about every model you would want.

I would go with the the Tharp or the Cobb series. Cobb series is more budget minded and very good sticks for the money.

I am a NRX guy and have 3 of the Flippin sticks as I couldn't justify spending $700 for a longer frog and jig rod.

17. Banned
    BPS pro qualifier rods for most things and the BPS crankin stick for anything with treble hooks, I also have a few of the Falcon Jason Christie rods that are great rods for $100, especially the 7'3" heavy pitching rod, I have 3 of those and they work great for throwing buzz baits, frogs, jigs and texas rigs, they are hard to find now though.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Which Tatula’s ? The elite or the regular with cork handles ?
    The ones with cork. The silver ones that cost 20-30 dollars more have the same exact blank
    and components. Except for the elite series rods. The cork ones are beautiful and feel awesome. The tips on the rods are very true and the weight and sensitivity of the rod are unmatched in my opinion. I was always a Powell guy but over the last handful of years made some investments in other companies, dobyns, alx, Irod, and okuma which are all real nice rods but I prefer the daiwa tatulas the best in both spinning and casting.

19. Member
    Have you looked at Falcon HD rods?

20. Member
    If I were doing what you are doing, I would look at Shimano's Intenza series.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast