Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job, Leon. That explains why the "symptoms" mimicked irratic CPS input!

Permanent loctite and torque flywheel nut properly to specifications- should be fine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

In further thought to cause of this. I believe it should have a concave heat treated washer that functions like torque to yield head bolts and a flange lock nut to help keep clamp force applied to the flywheel. Would be interesting to know if the newer motors have changed in this regard?
    Over time this washer concaved the wrong direction!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's supposed to be a pretty thick washer... makes me wonder if it was ever tight.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I think you are right Leon. This washer has been updated and likely for this reason! Click on the picture for a larger view. Capture.JPG

I don't know when it was updated but it would be good to know and replace it if your motor fell into the "older-washer-model" of the Optimax models. I don't want what happened to me to happen to others. Take heed! It is only about $10.00 for a new washer and bolt as well. Totally worth it.
    Last edited by tomloans; 11-09-2021 at 12:06 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tom- I highly doubt that to be the case... and I've not seen even one (1) "bent or cupped" flywheel washer/nut. Not discounting yours might have been, but I do feel quite confident that if it were happening with any consistency at all, we would have seen or heard it quite regularly.

Parts supersede quite regularly. Sometimes for a new supplier, sometimes for a change to the components (and sometimes the change is simply to make one part suitable for use on multiple products, rather than just one particular series).

I know this has been asked in several of your posts- but after scanning 5 pages I still don't see your serial number here in this thread:

If you would, please review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED INFO (serial number) when you open a post. Thanks!

6. Member
    Thanks Don for clearing that up. Maybe it is just a new supplier. I didn't know that. Here is what I missed in the beginning of all the craziness. Excuse me please, I usually don't forget to post it...

1B737378
    FEB 2009
    PRO XS L

I also edited the first post as well. Thanks again Don!

Tom... Have you considered buying a lottery ticket?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Tom... Have you considered buying a lottery ticket?
    Good Idea! LOL You know in hindsight, I would have taken it in earlier if I had known Leon was doing this type of work. I just didn't know so I booked a local guy for Feb 7th then found another for Jan 6th, so I kept banging my head against the wall with it until I learned of Leon. Anyways, he would have probably knocked it out overnight. Oh well, it is always an adventure and everyone learned a lot and we had some good laughs along the way as well.

The amount of knowledge gained was well worth the price of admission.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

10. Member
    Remember eliminate the basics first. Pulling that flywheel to check the key way is something I’ll remember. Did I miss something. Timing fixed the no start but what was the noise that started this

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Timing fixed the no start but what was the noise that started this
    My money is on a loose flywheel... and the resulting (incorrect) timing.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Remember eliminate the basics first. Pulling that flywheel to check the key way is something I’ll remember. Did I miss something. Timing fixed the no start but what was the noise that started this
    Yes the timing was so off that injectors and spark was firing at odd times. Occasionally it would act like it was going to start then back to coughing. The flywheel was moving slightly from time to time I think. It was like a ghost as it would come and go. In regards to the horrible knock, I think what was happening is the flywheel was shifting from time to time and spark was firing at the wrong time causing the spark to fire too early in some positions of the flywheel and causing a knocking sound ( we use to called it pinging in our carbureted engines back in the day ). I have no idea, how I managed to run for hours that day at 4500 to 5800 RPM. I have no idea why I didn't suddenly here a massive metallic clunk and have a piston or two go flying out the back of the motor. Likely because at higher RPMS, flywheel likely shifted in the rust it was sitting in to a more aligned position. Talk about fortunate! Bryan, thinks I should go out and buy a lottery ticket. Just might do that.
    Last edited by tomloans; 11-10-2021 at 01:44 PM.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Buy TWO.

14. Member
    Sounds like mine did just before lower unit came apart.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345