Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Well I guess I could take it apart. I have really fussed with it pretty good. The compressor is the updated one and has about 120 hours on it. Seems super tight.
    Just wondering when you replaced the old Compressor? Hopefully it’s a warrantied item?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

2. Member
    Looks pretty obvious in the video you posted that one of the reeds in the compressor isn't seating properly. I'm standing by what I posted in post #6 that the compressor reeds are the culprit.

3. Member
    Honestly I think it is a ghost. Here is what I just did. I replaced the belt and cleaned all the pulleys just to be sure the air compressor pulley is not slipping (good maintenance item anyways). It didn't start.

I pulled the belt off and attached a pressure gauge to the air side. I literally turned the pulley about 6 or 7 times and was able to get the pressure up to 50 PSI ... by hand!!!! And it held.

The next thing I did was attach my regulated air compressor and kept the air side at 90 and it still didn't start. IN fact there was no coughing at all when the pressure was up. Just a backfire after I turned the key off.

Phew... I have spent a lot of time on this. Even my wife wants me to buy a new engine and that is the good part of all this.

I am telling you guys, it is going to turn out to be something stupid that I missed.

4. Member
    Time to drop it off to a Merc shop.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Honestly I think it is a ghost. Here is what I just did. I replaced the belt and cleaned all the pulleys just to be sure the air compressor pulley is not slipping (good maintenance item anyways). It didn't start.

I pulled the belt off and attached a pressure gauge to the air side. I literally turned the pulley about 6 or 7 times and was able to get the pressure up to 50 PSI ... by hand!!!! And it held.

The next thing I did was attach my regulated air compressor and kept the air side at 90 and it still didn't start. IN fact there was no coughing at all when the pressure was up. Just a backfire after I turned the key off.

Phew... I have spent a lot of time on this. Even my wife wants me to buy a new engine and that is the good part of all this.

I am telling you guys, it is going to turn out to be something stupid that I missed.

Before you get too far away... please repeat the above test, but PUMP THE PRIMER BULB UP FIRM (FIRST), and make sure the LANYARD is in the RUN position.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    Time to drop it off to a Merc shop.

I am looking for one that will look at mine before mid 02/22. Don, I will try that again as instructed.

I am looking for one that will look at mine before mid 02/22. Don, I will try that again as instructed.
    Is Calvin Burns still working at Redding Yamaha Seadoo? He's a pretty good tech.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Member
    How far away is Leon?

9. Member
    I have been calling him as well and he has been kind enough to provide some thoughts as well. He is not that far ( a couple of hours ) and I think I may see him this weekend. Just need the time to get it over there.

Don, I pumped up the gas and confirmed 90PSI on the Air side and about 105 PSI on the fuel side and it was holding. When I attach the regulated air, you can here it briefly pumping up the system as well. Still no start , just coughing and backfiring. I just have this sense that this is electrical in nature. Wonder if the ECM has been affected - I need a spare ECM, LOL. I booked one dealer for 02/07/2022 just in case. Going to call Leon and see if he wants to take a shot at this as well.

10. Member
    Man, I'm frustrated for you! Would be great if Leon can help ya out, always good to get second set of eyes on a problem job!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Man, I'm frustrated for you! Would be great if Leon can help ya out, always good to get second set of eyes on a problem job!
    Thanks man! It has been incredibly frustrating. Something I did should have fixed this by now. Very strange. I missed something along the way. Or a weird set of events combined. You would think it would run but run rough. Why can't it start up. Why wont it run when I give it 90 PSI on the air side? Why can I turn the compressor and obtain 50 PSI yet when cranking it only gets up to 25 psi. It definitely requires an exorcist.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think you may have a secondary problem that has been induced by the starting attempts. Crank sensor, reeds, something in the air handler bouncing around, plugs soused with fuel, or even low voltage from repeated cranking attempts.

The fact that your pressures came back up confirms what I suspected (that the VST rear chamber was empty, no fuel present to make fuel pressure with).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Crank Sensor I unplugged and it wouldn't even cough which is normal and I have tested the cranks sensor and ohms were perfect at 350. But I suppose it could still be the problem. I wish i had extra working parts laying around.

Reeds I checked a few days ago both intake and compressor. But maybe something happened in the mean time.

Definitely the plugs are soaked.

What could be in the air handler that could be bouncing around? I will pull it off and take a look.

Could one bad air injector cause low air and fuel pressures like this?

I think this is going to be embarrassing in the end.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Plugs- clean them and dry them off before reinstalling them. The earlier problem with air pressure and fuel pressure may have resulting in complete fouling.

Air handler: Tie wraps, pine cones, mud-dobber nest, yellow plastic cap from center of flywheel, tape, labels, etc.

Air Injector: Yes, but in MOST cases, it would leak air pressure significantly (ie: pressure dropping within 10 seconds).

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Plugs- clean them and dry them off before reinstalling them. The earlier problem with air pressure and fuel pressure may have resulting in complete fouling.

Air handler: Tie wraps, pine cones, mud-dobber nest, yellow plastic cap from center of flywheel, tape, labels, etc.

Air Injector: Yes, but in MOST cases, it would leak air pressure significantly (ie: pressure dropping within 10 seconds).
    OK well I give up. Spark plugs went back in sparkling and dry. This feels to be electrical in nature. I think the ECM is bad. Anyone want to send me one to try. LOL

Also I put a new battery on it to see if it would matter - no difference. All I get is crank and cough but no start. 25 PSI air. Even when I put regulated air pressure at 90PSI on the airside, still no start. Totally crazy.
    Last edited by tomloans; 11-04-2021 at 05:44 PM.

16. Member
    How does a bad ECM change the air pressure from 80 to 25 psi?
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 11-04-2021 at 09:04 PM.

17. Member
    Damn Tom! I feel for you bud! Hope you get it figured out!

18. Member
    Whats the numbers on your ECM
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    How does a bad ECM change the air pressure from 80 to 25 psi?
    I get it and you are right but the odd part is I have put 90 PSI regulated pressure on the air side and it still won't start. So I think I may have multiple issues here. I get the sense that something electrical is also causing issues as if the plugs are firing at the wrong times or injectors are not firing at the right time. I know it sounds crazy but man I think I have checked everything. But like someone here said, I have definitely missed something. Bottom line is I have stared at this motor for too long. I have to have another set of eyes and grey matter look at this because I am completely burned out. There is nothing left to look at and I have lost my energies for this now. I am taking it over to Leon this weekend. Fortunately he has some time for me and he is only a couple of hours away. I think it is going to be something simple that I missed.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Damn Tom! I feel for you bud! Hope you get it figured out!
    Thanks Champ 2001. My wife looks at me when I come in from the garage. She can tell by the look on my face that my outboard didn't start again. LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast