Flashing a Mercury 250 ProXS 2 stroke questions

Gentlemen,

I have a 2016 Bullet XRS with a 2 stroke 250 Pro XS Mercury and two 8 foot power poles. I have 3 lithium troller batteries and plan to buy a lithium cranking battery when this one dies.

I understand that it is possible to get "Up to" an additional 20 horsepower with a flash. S, I guess my first question would be, is the flash worth fooling with?

My second question is, if I do get the flash, would the additional horsepower be enough to go up one prop pitch?

I currently run the 27 Hydro prop that came on it from Bullet, and it has good hole shot and runs out about 76 - 78 mph with one person when conditions are perfect and I have the time to get it up there. I want to keep the hole shot but would like to add 2 to 4 mph. Is the additional hp enough to turn a 28 pitch prop? What prop would work best on this setup?

Sorry about all the questions. I think I said enough for you to understand what I am thinking of doing, so if you have any advice on this please feel free to chime in even if it is not a direct answer.

Thanks
    Brad

2. Member
    Not likely to get a measurable increase. Where does the horse power increase come from? Increase rev limit? Can you reach rev limit now?

3. Member
    That is a good question. The engine feels like it is around redline, but I have not looked at the tach to see exactly where it is. That, I will have to determine.

4. Member
    My point is if you can't reach rev limit now putting a bigger prop on will accomplish nothing. If you can't reach the limit, and the "flashing" simply raises the rev limit, then I see little use for the flash.

5. Member
    Also would be good to know what lower unit you have and your P to P measurement.

6. Member
    I have a 21 xrd with a 2014 Mercury 250 Pro xs, torq master 2 lower 1.75 gears and I am running a 28 bravo xs on mine, and In the dead cold of winter I can just touch the rev limiter occasionally.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

7. Member
    My fishing partner has a 2017 SDC, 250 pro xs 2 stroke, 28 bravo and can runs 78-79 loaded and 80-81 solo and light. Might want to try a Bravo and see how much you gain and not mess with adding a few horse power to motor.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters;[URL="tel:12135557"
    12135557[/URL]]I have a 21 xrd with a 2014 Mercury 250 Pro xs, torq master 2 lower 1.75 gears and I am running a 28 bravo xs on mine, and In the dead cold of winter I can just touch the rev limiter occasionally.
    I run 78-79 loaded, 80-81 light. Best overall on max recall 84.3 mph.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

9. Banned
    Who is flashing mercury motors now?

10. Member
    There's performance to be gained on the 250's. Alien cowl, light weight flywheel, V-stack, Light weight compressor wheel. Should be a solid 2mph gain.

I don't have any experience with the DBR flash on a 250, But we tried the alien cowl from my 300XS on my buddys 250XS and it gained 1.4mph first pass.

11. Member
    From what I understand Merc put the crunch on flashing, no one is doing it now to my knowledge. I have a 250R and had it flashed before the big flash cut. On the v8's its a game changer, it took my 250R to 325hp. We had my Dad's 225 2 stroke flashed a few years ago and it really wasn't worth the money for the gain he saw. He might have seen 2 mph increase, a few hundred rpm more. It does re-range the limiter to I think 6800 on my v8, not sure on the 2 strokes. We went Simon on both our tunes.