Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running straight fluoro VS Braid to Fluoro leader and fishing Crankbaits

I am trying to find out if straight fluoro on a baitcaster is as difficult to manage as everyone says. I use, braid as my main line, with a Fluoro leader, maybe 3-4' long. I am also trying to see if crankbait fishing is a staple down here, as well. I have fished a few different Lakes, with my club, but never hear of many people throwing Crankbaits. Lipless crankbaits i know is a staple here. I have fished Okeechobee, Panasoffkee, Johns Lake, Henderson, Rousseau to name a few. If anyone can give me some insight as to whether a crankbait is anything that really gets used ALOT down here, i would like to hear, how to use them and where. Crankbait fishing isn't one of my strong suits. Everything i have read about or watch in You Tube videos, says theres a time and place for Crankbaits. I am trying to find out when and where. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I always have a couple of square bills on the boat as to leaders NEVER use em straight fluro OR braid depending on what I am fishing

3. Banned
    I use straight mono or copolymer for crankbaits, spinnerbaits and buzz baits.

4. Member
    Is it any different casting with Fluoro as opposed to Braid with a leader on a baitcaster, as far as birds nests and etc? I been using a baitcaster for about 40+ years, so pretty comfortable with them. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

5. Banned
    I tried flouro on a baitcaster this year, When I got a backlash, it pretty much ruined the line. I just use regular mono for any plug I use. With the color and depth of the water here, flouro seems to be a waste. But feel free to use what you want.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Is it any different casting with Fluoro as opposed to Braid with a leader on a baitcaster, as far as birds nests and etc? I been using a baitcaster for about 40+ years, so pretty comfortable with them. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect.
    I can cast with floro just as easily as mono, the main reason I don't use floro much is there isn't much benefit form it for it to be worth the extra cost.

7. Member
    I use mono for my crank bait rods. I’ll use flouro on a worm pole especially in clear water. I’ll use braid for bait casters in heavy cover sometimes with a flouro leader. I stay away from all flouro on my spinner set ups since it gives me a fit with line twists.

8. Member
    Thats my concern with a baitcaster. I went ahead and spooled my Rat L Trap and Crankbait rods with straight fluoro. I have a tournament Sunday, hoping i don't regret it. I increased the brakes on the reels, more than i would, but new line to me, not taking any chances of a rats nest right off the bat. I will know, within a few casts if i like using straight fluoro or if i go back to smaller braid to a fluoro leader for those 2 reels. TO BE CONTINUED........

I gave up on fluorocarbon as anything other than leader material (20-30 ft leaders). I use McCoys now for my cranking and jerkbait outfits. Everything else (10 baitcaster and 12 spinning) is braid to fluro. FG knot when tied at home, uni uni on the boat. Never had a connection knot break. Have had the knot cause 2-3 birdsnests but I’d rather pick out a braid nest than a fluro nest and that stuff did it to me a lot.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Thats my concern with a baitcaster. I went ahead and spooled my Rat L Trap and Crankbait rods with straight fluoro. I have a tournament Sunday, hoping i don't regret it. I increased the brakes on the reels, more than i would, but new line to me, not taking any chances of a rats nest right off the bat. I will know, within a few casts if i like using straight fluoro or if i go back to smaller braid to a fluoro leader for those 2 reels. TO BE CONTINUED........
    Have fun in the wind

11. Member
    It really depends on the BRAND imo.

I've tried several and the only one I really like for throwing Crankbaits is Sunline Assassin. It is Soft, Cast Great, No real Memory and Just flat works.

I use 15 lb on my RT Rod and 12 on my Squarebill Rod. No issues.

BUT if you don't like it just use Berkly Big Game Mono, works great, is cheap to buy, and lasts forever.

12. Member
    I use fluoro on all my reels. It’s takes some getting used to and I use a line conditioner. I strictly use invis-x.

13. Member
    I use topknot or seagar red but p line floroclear
    is great and you can up the test as it is small diameter

14. Member
    I use Sunline mono, which is great on everything but plastics, like my Senko setups. For the plastics, I use Power Pro braid. I feel the bite better and get a better hookset I think.

I tried fluorocarbon line but the stuff breaks on me, is expensive, and needs treatment. I could probably learn fluorocarbon better, but it cost me a couple of big fish that I believe would have gone in the boat with braid. That happens a couple of times with me and I am through with it. Fool me once, etc.

Braid does fine and lasts a long time and does not need treatment IMO
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I use Sunline mono, which is great on everything but plastics, like my Senko setups. For the plastics, I use Power Pro braid. I feel the bite better and get a better hookset I think.

I tried fluorocarbon line but the stuff breaks on me, is expensive, and needs treatment. I could probably learn fluorocarbon better, but it cost me a couple of big fish that I believe would have gone in the boat with braid. That happens a couple of times with me and I am through with it. Fool me once, etc.

Braid does fine and lasts a long time and does not need treatment IMO
    I agree wholeheartedly....

16. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Years ago, I tried using a fluoro leader a couple times (10# test off a spool) on a fluke rod and it broke on me too. Then I read you needed to use "leader material", unless your using like 15# or heavier? I just went back to braid. Water around here isn't clear enough to matter anyway, imo. I still use mono for lipped cranks and spinnerbaits though.

17. Member
    I wish I had the hours back in my life personally testing and trying all different things. Nobody wants to hear my nonsense and endless "what I do" so I will change it up just a little. IMO because most of our water is stained and shallow more attention needs to be paid on hook that matches the line. I have fished with a lot of folks where the hook has no place with the line fished. I think more fish are lost because of the wrong hook vice line set up. In addition, folks focus on (can the fish see the line) vice does it float, sink, etc. Example: Flouro for topwater is awful. BTW I just tried a new line but awesome so far in 12 pound. Fluorokote

18. Member
    I run a cheap mono backing on all casting reels, the seaguars red label floro.
    I run braid #65 on my dirty water heavy cover rods, i may tie on like a 20lb floro leader if im fishing edge of the cover not deep in it.
    Key to floro is finding that one reasonably prices floro that has low memory, and works well
    and Red label is it.

On my spinning setups, key is back it with 15 to 20lb braid then spool on floro, will cast very well and wont get all the line twist.

19. Member
    Floor All the way. Iwith I feel it gets down a little deeper and it’s more durable. Especially bouncing cranks off wood

20. Member
    I just use Big Game mono for crankbaits. Traps I use braid or mono. Only time I use Fluro is for a leader on plastics or anytime I am fishing a clear lake like butler
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast