Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Braided line, which one

I need to settle on one brand for casting reels. What do you like? Please describe what you do or don't like about the brand.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

I love Daiwa Samurai and Sunline FX2 but the past year or two been using the Daiwa J Braid 8X Grand. It's incredibly castable and smooth but still as strong as can be. The manageability is on another level. I throw a frog a lot and this makes it even more enjoyable. The grey color is my preference

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiw...cpage-GXG.html

Once I tried Seaguar Smackdown, I was sold. To me it is just right as far as tying leader to braid knots. The high viz yellow color fades very slowly compared to other brands that leach out to white in just a day of fishing. I like the high viz for fishing bottom contact baits, easier for me to see those sometimes subtle line twitched when a bass picks up your bait. If you want low-viz, the Stealth Gray is a good color.

4. Member
    I like Berkley X9 or Berkley Fireline Ultra 8. Both are very smooth, cast phenomenally, and have great knot strength. I use Fireline on rods I use a leader on and X9 on rods that I tie straight braid.

5. Member
    40lb diawa j braid X4 in fluorescent hi viz yellow for me.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    40lb diawa j braid X4 in fluorescent hi viz yellow for me.
    I honestly like all of the braids I’ve tried, but this one ^ does work well. Have the 40 lb. Daiwa on two rods that I do a ton of pitching with. Strong, flexible, easy to see, and not at all prone to backlashes etc. Also pitches incredibly easily with my Tatula reels.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    PLine TCB
    Suffix 832
    Berkly X5 and X9 have been decent too.

-1 for Seaguar Smackdown. While the line is incredibly thin and has great tensile strength, the stuff has very little abrasive resistance. I broke off 3 times in the same day fishing around rocks, and these were mild "rubs". Lost fish and expensive lures.

Fishing deep, around grass and with a leader it's fine. But I can no longer trust it - sticking to the tried and true Power Pro Super Slick and regular. Color fades quickly but has never failed me. It'll still get beat up around rocks and wood but it won't just fail out of nowhere and give you enough warning to re-tie.

As many of you know, I’m a big fan of Izorline. So, when I needed a braid, I got some of their Brutally Strong Spectra braid. I use the 50 pound test in green to flip and frog with. The color will fade to a light green, but I’ve never seen that make a difference. As the name says, it is brutally strong. I have never broken it when setting the hook, fighting a fish, or pulling a fish out of heavy cover. I have 100% confidence in it. Tackle Warehouse stocks it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Sufix 832 has been my go to for years. Never had any issues with it, even when fishing around oyster reefs or rocks. I recently spooled 1 reel with Sufix 131 to try it out and really like it as well, but haven't had enough time with that one to know if it's worth the extra money or not. It does seem thinner than 832 in the same listed strength, even though both are labelled as the same diameter for 20lb.
    I also have another reel spooled with Daiwa j-braid x8 grand and really like it as well, although it seems to hold a hell of a lot of water compared to other braids I've tried.

11. Member
    Of the few braids I’ve tried, I’ve always had great service with PowerPro with Spiderwire a close second. I have one rod spooled with Academy’s brand but haven’t had a chance to try it yet. I do want to try some Diawa.

Sufix 832 Camo for all applications where I use braid. Head on over to Tackletour and check out their line reviews. It helps you match the braid that suits your requirements.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    Regular power pro for me. Spiderwire and X5 are decent.. s

ive also used 832, kanzen, PP super slick, grand slam, and I’ve had issues with wind knots or breakage with all of them.

in fact I wouldn’t recommend 832 and Super Slick to my worst enemies. I know some people love them but if that was the only option for bass, I’d be going trout fishing.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

14. Member
    Bruiser Baits has a 12 carrier branded “Goat Rope” that has my interest. some friends have been using it with great success.. Super strong and manageable . I have been using Daiwa Samurai in 55 & 70 and love it but loses color to quick. Grand 8 is also excellent! Will be trying the Goat Rope next week for flipping/punching.

15. Member
    Never had a reason to stray from Power Pro .

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wwc3 View Post
    agree.
    Dave

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wwc3 View Post
    I've tried alot of different braids and always come back to power pro. It's super strong, reliable and durable. And is available everywhere.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flipNfrog View Post
    I've tried alot of different braids and always come back to power pro. It's super strong, reliable and durable. And is available everywhere.
    Same here.

19. Member
    65 lb power pro for me

Quote Originally Posted by flipNfrog View Post
    In 50-65 lb, Powerpro is the standard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast