Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The best thing about having a ton of disposable income and free time is that you can purchase the best equipment and not have to resort to less expensive combos, so it's a win win, you can focus on fishing with the best gear, instead of just making do while telling yourself or projecting on to other's that high end gear doesn't make a difference.

My high end gear catches a lot more fish than my few cheaper combos because the better stuff is much more enjoyable to fish thus they get used more which means more catch rates, the math is simple.

The majority of people fish what they can afford, if you can easily afford the best without even noticing it in your pocket book why fish lesser gear, well most of the time it's because you can't afford to.

Fish the best you can afford.
    Last edited by DTI0384; 10-16-2021 at 11:18 AM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Ha ! Must have struck a chord ������
    Got plenty of USA Falcons myself…Several NRX’s , too.
    Unfortunately your too busy banging your chest about your gear to understand the point !
    Too many guys get wrapped up into high end gear and stop paying attention to what’s important.
    I have seen it far to many times !
    Go Fish ! The Bass don’t care what’s on your deck !
    Focus on fishing and catching Fish ! Period!
    Spend as much as you want ! You earned it !
    However the $500 rods we have don’t catch anymore than a $150 “Chinese Rod”
    Enjoy your fishing time ! Because it’s priceless
    Didn't strike a chord and not banging my chest at all, but when these threads come up the typical response is "I can catch just as many bigger fish if not more with my $250 combo than you guys with your $1,000 rigs" and it gets old. Yes the equipment plays a part in catching fish but the price of the equipment does not. You state that you have higher end stuff awesome, I just ventured into that realm and I always enjoy fishing no matter which one of my combos is in my hand but the lighter mose sensitive stuff just adds to the enjoyment. All I own is Falcon Cara but like I said when they went to China I bought my first NRX and have since added more as I can. All my reels are shimano, except one of the new Daiwa Zillion, and my reels have increased in price level like Curado Es, Chronarch D, to Chronarch Ci4, then Chronarch MGL, Bantam MGL, Aldebaran, Metaniums, Stradic to Vanquish, now Stella. I will never look down on anyone for what is in their hand but when people want to call us crazy for how we choose to spend our money jus because they won't or can't that gets aggravating.

3. Member
    On my part, ''feeling right'' has nothing to do with price or even catching fish, big or small. It's a personnal feeling of balance and harmony and ... just feeling right !

I use Shimano products and some of the outifits that give me that satisfaction are in no particular order: Rod spinning - Intenza 7' 6'' and Vanford 2500, NRX 901 and Stella 2500 FI - Rod casting - Zodias 7, 2', MH and Metanium 150 MGL HGB.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Didn't strike a chord and not banging my chest at all, but when these threads come up the typical response is "I can catch just as many bigger fish if not more with my $250 combo than you guys with your $1,000 rigs" and it gets old. Yes the equipment plays a part in catching fish but the price of the equipment does not. You state that you have higher end stuff awesome, I just ventured into that realm and I always enjoy fishing no matter which one of my combos is in my hand but the lighter mose sensitive stuff just adds to the enjoyment. All I own is Falcon Cara but like I said when they went to China I bought my first NRX and have since added more as I can. All my reels are shimano, except one of the new Daiwa Zillion, and my reels have ineased in price level like Curado Es, Chronarch D, to Chronarch Ci4, then Chronarch MGL, Bantam MGL, Aldebaran, Metaniums, Stradic to Vanquish, now Stella. I will never look down on anyone for what is in their hand but when people want to call us crazy for how we choose to spend our money jus because they won't or can't that gets aggravating.
    Definitely not looking to offend you or anyone else. As I said … it’s your money , you earned it.

What I can tell you is that technology on rods and reels in the past 2 years has seriously closed the gap on a $200 rod and a $500 rod. That’s a fact
    I have seen lots of guys stress over gear when it’s honestly irrelevant to catching fish.
    I happened to be blessed and can buy and fish anything I want.
    I more enjoy challenging myself and am always on the hunt for the best for less.
    My old man taught me a long time ago.
    What we can’t buy is time … And the more we spend the less time we have.
    Enjoy the rest of the season and Tight Lines !
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

5. Member
    Shimano Core 100mg and Gen 1 Cumara 7'2" MHxf. its perfect.

6. Member
    I have several that have that "it" factor.

NRX+ 883c and 13 Concept E.

NRX+ 852s and Pflueger Patriarch 30

iRod Air 6101S and Pflueger Patriarch 30

iRod Crusher 703c and Tatula SV TW 103

NRX+ 893c and 13 Concept E (yes, this one DOES catch more and bigger fish than any other rod I own, because it's my jig rod, and I can definitely feel bites better than any other rod I've used for jigs.)

But one of my favorites still to this day?

W&M Skeet Reese Spinnerbait/Worm rod with a 13 Concept A (was an Abu Orra SX for a long time). It just has "that" feel for me for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, even chatterbaits, weightless plastics...name it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

7. Member
    Megabass Destroyer P5 Tequila Baccarat paired up with a '17 Shimano Scorpion DC and a P5 X-Bites paired with a Daiwa Tatula SV TW. I've tried different reels on each rod and those pairing just work well for me.

8. Member
    ALX Enox Decoy and Shimano Curado 70 MGL
    2004 Ranger 520VX Comanche SOLD
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

9. Member
    I have my 1st gen Cumaras paired up with Bantams and 2020 Metaniums. They look as good as they feel so that's kinda nice too.

Have 3 Zodias with CH50 MG’s that’s always on the deck

11. Member
    In no order of importance...

* MB XX Gen 1 EMF with LH Lews Custom Pro for swim jigs, flukes and smaller buzzbaits.
    * MB Destroyer FMJ with LH Lews Custom Pro for 1/4-3/8 T-Rigs

12. Member
    ...What I can tell you is that technology on rods and reels in the past 2 years has seriously closed the gap on a $200 rod and a $500 rod. That’s a fact...
    No, that is your opinion, asserted as a "fact" with nothing of consequence to support that assertion. Now if you had stated some actual comparisons that you have experience with, which would appear to support that statement, if would be a different "story", informative but not definitive given variations in experience, techniques, usage, etc. But again something of substance to 'backstop' the opinion.

It is always questionable when someone starts a thread like this, then has the weak statement of "but it is your money, you earned it, blah/blah/blah" in an attempt not to appear judgmental . Yep, it is my money, my experience and my evaluations of what is good/better/best and how that correlates with prices listed and prices paid.

And to give you your advice back, 'just fish' and do not "worry" (post) about other people evaluations/decisions on the purchase of fishing gear.

Regards,
    Doc

13. Member
    Definitely not looking to offend you or anyone else. As I said … it’s your money , you earned it.

What I can tell you is that technology on rods and reels in the past 2 years has seriously closed the gap on a $200 rod and a $500 rod. That’s a fact
    I have seen lots of guys stress over gear when it’s honestly irrelevant to catching fish.
    I happened to be blessed and can buy and fish anything I want.
    I more enjoy challenging myself and am always on the hunt for the best for less.
    My old man taught me a long time ago.
    What we can’t buy is time … And the more we spend the less time we have.
    Enjoy the rest of the season and Tight Lines !
    SouthCoast Bassin, you are 100% spot on when you say the fish don't care what we are doing above the water. They just don't. And the materials being used today in rod manufacturing is light years from where it was just 10 to 15 years ago. The gap between "high end" and middle of the road gear is much narrower than it used to be. For sure. That isn't even debatable.

All we need to know to prove that point is look at how many of the guys on the pro tours are fishing Lew's equipment, Abu Garcia equipment and for most of his lifetime, KVD fished Quantum. These guys make a living out of catching fish, and trust me if using this gear regardless of their sponsorships were costing them fish, which cost them money and status, ALL OF THEM would be using different rods. If the best of the best use what we would all deem to be middle of the road equipment, ENOUGH SAID, case closed, high end gear does not help you catch more fish.

Now, no one will argue that it is REALLY FUN to fish high end gear. It is lighter, feels good in your hands, looks cool and allows us to wear matching clothing (hats, shirts, shorts, boat decals) so we look like pros on the water, but it doesn't help any of us catch more fish. I am guilty, I have several $400 + rods (I bought used, so I paid less much less than new), and I love throwing those sticks. But my favorite, most sensitive rod, is my Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier drop shot rod, and that rod was less than $300 full retail new. Go figure.

These forums are great. Love all the exchanges and opinions. DEBATE IS GREAT FOR FOSTERING DIFFERING OPINIONS AND THOUGHTS! :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12