Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Combos that just feel right

I know this is very subjective, but what combos do you have that feel RIGHT. Not just good, but that they were made for each other, that they belong together?

I have an NRX MBR843C with an OG Steez 103 that feels incredible, but for the money that combo runs, it should.

I recently put an SV103 on an MB Levente, and it feels great and will launch traps a mile.

But the combo that is just pure pleasure to use, and feels so right, to me, is a previous generation recoil guide St Croix Legend Xtreme 7' medium fast rod with a TD-Z 103ML. light and perfectly balanced. I haven't got the most trained thumb, so I have an SV spool in the reel. I use it for T-rigged craws and Baby Brush hogs. No matter where I fish, from the boat or the bank, that combo is with me. Even when I'm not catching anything on it, it's hard to put down.

So what do you have that feels right?

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    For me it's a Gen 2 Megabass Orochii XX Diablo Spec-R and a Steez SV TW. I have a few of them and one of them is a dedicated swimjig rod but I could easily fish pretty much anything I wanted with just a couple of these combos (and maybe a few spare spools) in the boat.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    For me i have 3 that are just about perfect.

St Croix Avid X 6’9ML with a Shimano Symetre 3000 reel. Perfect balance and is my favorite spinning rod I use.

An old Gander Mtn XFactor 6’6” Med casting rod with an Ardent Summit hawk reel (I know Ardent is taboo but it’s been a great reel) this combo is my go to jerkbait and topwater rod. It’s also one of the more sensitive casting rods I own.

NFC XRay SJ736 casting rod with an Lews Tournament MB. I built the rod and it’s the most sensitive one I’ve ever felt. Balances well and has an amazing action. I use it for Texas rigs, weightless Senkos and finesse jigs.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    NRX 852 with Steez SV TW. Not only feels great but skips weightless plastics as well as any spinning set up.

Phenix 7-1 MHXF with Daiwa Alphas SV and 12 lb fluorocarbon throwing tubes in our local rivers for strong, current-oriented smallmouth. Friend of mine that has borrowed it a few times keeps asking me to tell his wife to buy for him for Christmas. A lot of combos talk about being light and strong, this one is top of my list in that category. Very smooth casting even with sometimes temperamental fluorocarbon. That rod is 90% as sensitive as my NRX and 1/4 the price.

Lastly, I picked up an ALX Enox Decoy a month ago. Have it paired with a Tatula Elite reel. Its becoming one of my favorites - buzzbaits, 3/8 oz football jigs, T-rigs. Versatile, balance/feel is top-end, and just feels good in your hands - and casts a mile and a half with that reel... even buzzers soar ~
    Last edited by FryDog62; 10-15-2021 at 09:07 AM.

5. Member
    I've got 2 combos that feel just right. Recently got a Daiwa steez ags (old model) 7'1 mhxf and paired it up with a Daiwa coastal sv tw. The blue of the coastal matches the blue trim on the Steez, and the whole outfit just floats in my hand.
    Second is a 7'2 ml+ Shimano Expride with a Shimano Chronarch G. Extremely well balanced combo and ridiculously fun to fish with.

6. Member
    I have a few combo's that have the it factor, number one would be:
    Steez AGS Racing Design RD 701MH/HXB-ST
    With a Steez Limited SV TW, this combo is super addictive I can throw a 1/2 keitech football jig all day on it whether im catching fish or not, some days i feel like i should leave it at home because it's such a pleasure to fish, super light and balanced and insanely sensitive.

Second is a St. Croix Legend X 6ft10 ml xfast spinning rod with a Daiwa JDM Exist 1025, this setup is awesome for a plethora of techniques and just seems right preforming any finesse technique I use it for, I like it so much I have three identical combos.

The third and newest is a NRX+ 843C MBR paired with a 2020 Metanium MGL, although not as sensitive as the Racing Design it has similar lightness and balance as the RD/Steez combo, it's great for "Junk" fishing if you want to just bring one casting rod and a few lures for a quick trip out on the water.

I have more that are really nice to fish, but these three combos are the ones that have that IT factor.

7. Member
    NRX 853c with Aldebaran MGL 50 is just a pleasure as well as my NRX 872s with Stella FJ 3000.

8. Member
    I have the new Steez AGS Power Pitch paired with a Steez SV TW, and it brings me all the 'I just wanna flip and drag jigs with this rod forever' vibes.

Honorable mention goes to my Orochi Spinnerbait Special and Alphas SV TW though. It makes me depressed that Megabass didn't keep that rod in the gen 2 Orochi line.

Steez SV 8:1 and 7’5 MH/H
    Bantam MGL 7:4 and P5 Tequila Baccarac
    Certate LT 2500 and Orochi XX Enforcer

10. Member
    Falcon 7”3 Expert paired with a Tatula SV 2020
    Boy has 2021 been eye opening !
    Last edited by Southcoast Bassin; 10-15-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    NRX 852 with Steez SV TW. Not only feels great but skips weightless plastics as well as any spinning set up.

Phenix 7-1 MHXF with Daiwa Alphas SV and 12 lb fluorocarbon throwing tubes in our local rivers for strong, current-oriented smallmouth. Friend of mine that has borrowed it a few times keeps asking me to tell his wife to buy for him for Christmas. A lot of combos talk about being light and strong, this one is top of my list in that category. Very smooth casting even with sometimes temperamental fluorocarbon. That rod is 90% as sensitive as my NRX and 1/4 the price.

Lastly, I picked up an ALX Enox Decoy a month ago. Have it paired with a Tatula Elite reel. Its becoming one of my favorites - buzzbaits, 3/8 oz football jigs, T-rigs. Versatile, balance/feel is top-end, and just feels good in your hands - and casts a mile and a half with that reel... even buzzers soar ~
    Is that a Phenix feather? That 7 1 MH is a special rod for sure.

12. Member
    Steez CT SV TW on a 7' Conquest 843C MBR.

13. Member
    * Nrx 852c and Steez CT SV
    * megabass p5 super destroyer and Antares MGL
    * megabass ts blackjack and antares dc md
    * daiwa steez bottom contact (gen 1) and daiwa morethan 8.6

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    $350 bucks total and catches bigger fish than most guys ever have with their $500 rods and $400 Reels LOL.
    I dont need my Basscat and you don't need your 520C because that old guy on the lake in his jon boat can catch more and bigger fish than we ever have in our glitter rockets....

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    $350 bucks total and catches bigger fish than most guys ever have with their $500 rods and $400 Reels LOL.
    "Catches bigger fish"? So you're saying that particular combo catches bigger fish than any other combo you own? My 15+ US made Caras vs your Chinese Expert have all seen their fair share of big fish along with the Chronarch Ds, Curado Es, Calais', Chronarch Ci4s, etc. that are bolted on to them. But guess what those Cara/Shimano combos aren't why the fish bit and that's the same with quality high end gear and your gear. When Falcon dropped US made I ventured into the worm hole of high end and I doubt I'll go back. Sensitivity, weight, and pure pleasure of holding a top notch combo in your hand makes it. Don't bash people for spending their money on what they want just because you won't or can't. I'll keep adding more NRXs, Bantam MGL, Metanium, Aldebaran, Exscence, Stella, etc. because that's what I like. Honestly don't give a s@%$ what you think.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 10-15-2021 at 06:25 PM.

16. Member
    So damn true ! LOL

Listen … everyone’s entitled to spend their money on anything they want.
    Your earn it … You spend it .
    My point was I had my best year in 2021 focused on catching fish.
    Not Rods …
    Hell their all sensitive now !
    Everyone do what makes you happy !
    Ive owned plenty of NRX’s … Broke plenty too. Owned Metanium’s , Steez and had plenty on my deck.
    When we focus on catching fish we have more fun!
    Money can’t buy time ! Time On the water is priceless!
    Enjoy ! And Tight Lines !
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

17. Member
    Poison adrena 7' 2" H/F & 2020 Metanium MGL 150
    Expride 7' 3" XH/MF & 2020 Metanium MGL 150
    Troll lightly and carry a big flippin stick!!!

My loomis 722SJR Tenn Handle (Factory made handle)with a 2000 deadbolt. I have 5 of them. I have tried and tried to retire them. The new AGS with a 3000 Certate is very nice, but it still does not have that it factor the 722 has. I will say that the AGS rods have moved me away from Loomis. Have couple casters that really shine. Love the Utility Player.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    "Catches bigger fish"? So you're saying that particular combo catches bigger fish than any other combo you own? My 15+ US made Caras vs your Chinese Expert have all seen their fair share of big fish along with the Chronarch Ds, Curado Es, Calais', Chronarch Ci4s, etc. that are bolted on to them. But guess what those Cara/Shimano combos aren't why the fish bit and that's the same with quality high end gear and your gear. When Falcon dropped US made I ventured into the worm hole of high end and I doubt I'll go back. Sensitivity, weight, and pure pleasure of holding a top notch combo in your hand makes it. Don't bash people for spending their money on what they want just because you won't or can't. I'll keep adding more NRXs, Bantam MGL, Metanium, Aldebaran, Exscence, Stella, etc. because that's what I like. Honestly don't give a s@%$ what you think.
    Ha ! Must have struck a chord ������
    Got plenty of USA Falcons myself…Several NRX’s , too.
    Unfortunately your too busy banging your chest about your gear to understand the point !
    Too many guys get wrapped up into high end gear and stop paying attention to what’s important.
    I have seen it far to many times !
    Go Fish ! The Bass don’t care what’s on your deck !
    Focus on fishing and catching Fish ! Period!
    Spend as much as you want ! You earned it !
    However the $500 rods we have don’t catch anymore than a $150 “Chinese Rod”
    Enjoy your fishing time ! Because it’s priceless
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Is that a Phenix feather? That 7 1 MH is a special rod for sure.

Yes Sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast