Power Loss/ Struggle, 2007 250 ProXS

2007 ProXS
    s/n: 1B498795

Last time out when getting on plane the boat really struggled, felt like a carbed engine that gets "loaded" up on a cylinder or two. It also seemed to struggle to get to full rpm although I didn't push it thinking there may be an issue. No audible alarms or messages on smartcraft tach & speedo

At home I pulled the plugs to check for anything abnormal, all the plus were replaced in January. They were all similar except #4 (center port side) was wet compared to the others, not sopping but clearly wet compared to the other 5 plugs which looked dry.

I swapped coils with #2 to see if the problem follows the coil, I will take it tomorrow to see if that's the case. Could that possibly be it?

Possible injector problem?

It has also struggled to consistently get to temp the last couple trips. could this cause an issue like this? I'll pull the stats and check them before I test it tomorrow.

I'm working to get it in for freeze frame readouts next week.
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

2. Member
    Running cold can absolutely foul a plug and will present as the symptoms you mention. Bad coil will also result in wet plug and the same symptoms.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Start with the KNOWN problem- failure to reach operating temp.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I cleaned the stats and checked, stbd side had a little grass in it, both actually opened in full hot faucet water which is less than 120. I reinstalled and on the hose the engine only reached ~93*, so I installed new stats, now I’ve got 130*.

Ran the boat and still had the miss, swapped coils from cylinder 4(wet plug)and 2, ran boat and still had miss which was expected, the wetness followed the coil, so I replaced coil.

this resolved the low power/miss and low temp issues.

Thanks for the help.
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job, Andy!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor