Thread: Motor choices

Motor choices

I’m ordering an AVX 1980cc next week and was wondering which motor make y’all are choosing? (Mercy, Suzuki, Yamaha) Also does everyone put the max hp allowed? Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    My 1980 cc just arrived. 150 Merc Pro XS. I've always maxed the hp. Never underhorse a boat. You won't be happy.

I put a Zuk 115 on my 1880 and I am super happy with it. It’s likely not the fastest I’m sure but I live on a lake with a 35mph speed limit so top end was not my biggest concern.

Im so happy with my Zuk I’m in need of a new motor for the family deck boat and I’m hoping I can get one for it. I say hoping because I am in the process of repowering my skiff and had to settle for a Merc. When I ordered it in February my dealer said the rep he gets motors from wouldn’t even quote a Zuk or Yammie until January 2022. My Merc came in last week after an expected August arrival.

Regardless of your ultimate choice I wish you all the best with it

4. Banned
    Absolutley get the biggest motor available, unfortunately for the Vexus 1980 a 150hp is the biggest you can get. That boat really needs a 175 or 200hp motor.

5. Member
    Thank y’all for the input. I’m definitely going max but now I’m leaning towards the 2180 to get the 200hp. I believe I’ll let the dealer know I’ll take the Zuki or the Mercury, which ever one gets my order filled the fastest. I hear good things about both the motors. Thank you again for your replies.

Its not a Vexus but to give you an idea about Suzukis I ran a Champion 190 Fish N Ski this past week with the Suzuki 200SS and I was very impressed with this engine. Super smooth, quiet and extremely good on fuel. They are not the fastest but with the stock Suzuki prop it did very well. They say the Solas/Rubex Scorpion is what to run on the Suzkis to the performance out of them.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyy07 View Post
    Thank y’all for the input. I’m definitely going max but now I’m leaning towards the 2180 to get the 200hp. I believe I’ll let the dealer know I’ll take the Zuki or the Mercury, which ever one gets my order filled the fastest. I hear good things about both the motors. Thank you again for your replies.
    My brother's 140 Zuki croaked early this year (had a ton of hours). Took nearly 9 months to get a new one.