Thread: Woks...

Woks...

Looking for a carbon steel wok @ 14”. Flat bottom with a handle. I have 3 round ones and the rings. The 2 flat bottoms I have are cheap and while they work, they burn easily and warp. I looked at ‘Made In’ but they only have a 12”.

Yosukata has some reasonably priced ones in the size I’m looking for. Want to keep it under $100.

I’m rethinking the cast iron. I use my CI pans almost every day and am familiar with how to season and cook on them. Any reason I shouldn’t get a CI wok?
    Last edited by fr8dog; 10-14-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: I kan’t spel to gud.

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Looking for a carbon steel wok @ 14”. Flat bottom with a handle. I have 3 round ones and the rings. The 2 flat bottoms I have are cheap and while they work, they burn easily and warp. I looked at ‘Made In’ but they only have a 12”.

Yosukata has some reasonably priced ones in the size I’m looking for. Want to keep it under $100.

I’m rethinking the cast iron. I use my CI pans almost every day and am familiar with how to season and cook on them. Any reason I shouldn’t get a CI wok?
    A CI Wok will be heavy. The advantage to a Wok is the sides heat too. It will take longer for CI walls to heat.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

What I’m thinking is that the bottom of the wok does the hot work and the sides are a bit cooler to keep the food warm but not overcook it. Non-stick surfaces let that food slide back down the side and into the ‘hot zone’. I’m probably way overthinking this. I like my woks but just haven’t found one that makes me . Point taken. I shall do more research.

Well, it literally came down to a coin toss between the steel and cast iron. Tails won and the cast iron is on the way. I’ll take a look at it and I have some time to do a free return.

5. Member
    Can they even make a cast iron wok ? That would be heavier than my fat middle school girl friend. And brittle as heck.

I have a dozen cast iron pans of different sizes. They can take just about anything a normal cook can throw at them. Brittle won’t be an issue. Not going to be any heavier than my 2 Dutch ovens. I’d like the long handle but it wouldn’t work on this. I’ll deal with it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I have a dozen cast iron pans of different sizes. They can take just about anything a normal cook can throw at them. Brittle won’t be an issue. Not going to be any heavier than my 2 Dutch ovens. I’d like the long handle but it wouldn’t work on this. I’ll deal with it.

Yeah the handle issue was why I didnt think it was possible. I guess im just so accustomed to seeing a wok with a long handle I didnt realize they made them without.

I’m kind of rethinking this. It should be here today. I prefer the handle but it’s not a deal breaker. Now what I’m thinking is that the heat will creep up the side. On the other hand, cooking in a wok is usually so quick it may not make a difference. (Diawa vs Shimano ?)

It showed up. Not a bad looking pot. Thicker at the bottom then thins out toward the top. Flat base but the inside has a round bottom. Typical Lodge surface. A bit coarse but not bad. I don’t want this as slick as my skillets. I’ll do a couple test runs and if I need to I’ll whip out the angle grinder and steel brush to ‘adjust’ it. Says it’s pre-seasoned but I’ll add to that in the AM.

10. Moderator
    Let me know how you like this one. I bought a stainless cuisinart one a couple years ago and don’t really like it. Food sticks in it no matter what I do.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Let me know how you like this one. I bought a stainless cuisinart one a couple years ago and don’t really like it. Food sticks in it no matter what I do.
    I dont think you can season stainless. I wont swear to that but it rings a bell.

Just my personal preference if I were buying it would be a basic back steel with a long handle. Wish I had a gas range that to me is the best for a wok.

I have two stainless ones and everything sticks to them no matter what I do. You can season the carbon steel ones. I did the CI yesterday but haven’t cooked on it yet.

Used the CI wok today. Trial run, Nuthin’ Fancy. Quick stir fried vegetables and thinly sliced pork loin over brown jasmine rice. Heated it slowly until I got the EEVO where I wanted it. Veggies first, pulled them up the side and tossed in the pork, garlic, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Pig cooked, mixed it all together and life was good. Super quick and easy. Nothing was overdone.

The wonderful thing was the cleanup. Let it cool, wiped it with a damp sponge, then dried it. This may be a winner!

14. Member
    fr8dog,

Don't mind me asking, which Wok did you get and where did you purchase it?
    In the market for one.

Thanks.

It’s the 14” Lodge. Got it off Amazon.

16. Member
    Thank you.