Microwave or Fuji KR Concept?

I’m building a multipurpose rod for my dad (more than likely a Rod Geeks C4610MXF) and am tossing up using AT Microwave guides or the KR Concept. I just built my first KR concept rod but I have no experience with the microwaves. I know some guys love them. My dad isn’t the best caster due to his shoulders whichever one has the best casting is what I would prefer to go with
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Member
    A well designed rod with either would be very hard to distinguish from the other till you fish in freezing temps, then it becomes very apparent that you want the KR setup.

3. Member
    Ya he doesn’t fish in freezing temps unless it’s for steelhead or we are ice fishing.. he’s a mid May-September bass fisherman
    1995 Ranger 481v

4. Member
    I would say it depends on what kind of line he uses.If he uses fluorocarbon line, I'd go with the KR, hands down. Unless you're planning on using one of the larger Microwave sets, the KR is a lot more forgiving when it comes to stiffer lines. If he's using braid, then you probably couldn't tell the difference as far as casting distance goes.

I will say that from what I've read, a KR setup is quite a bit lighter than a Microwave set up. I've never weighed them, but supposedly just the Microwave stripper, weighs almost as much as a complete KR set up.

5. Member
    KR's for all my casting builds. Microwaves are great on spinning setups

6. Member
    The Microwave system was the first quick reduction setup for spinning rods, it reduced guide weight on many steelhead rod builders guide train by half from the guides they used before. The point that the Microwave stripper weight more than an entire KR guide set is ridiculous, especially if you are buying your rods and not building them, like the New Guide Concept before it, the manufacturers use the guides, but rarely use the system itself, the guides without the system are of very little value. The Microwave system tells you exactly where to put the guides for the best performance, it is the guides and the system.

7. Member
    I have both options on my builds, and honestly they both perform great. I have the casting rods built on Microwaves but use a spiral wrap which I absolutely love. On my spinning rods I have two rods, both drop shots, that were some of my first builds. The set up is easy, they literally give you the layout, where as the KR Concept takes a bit more play. Now if we are talking performance, the KR is going to be lighter, but honestly I have been pretty darn impressed with the reduction and performance of the Microwaves. I use braid to flouro on my spinning and I setups, and I do feel the casting is smoother on the Microwaves. I cannot prove it, but it's just a feel thats all. I like both, more of my high end spinning setups lately have all been Fujis with the KR Concept, but that is not because a lack of performance with the Microwaves. I have confidence in them both, the AT Micros do look a little odd but they work. Same can be said for my casting rods with a spiral wrap, but hey they work regardless of the optics. Give em a shot, doubt he will be disappointed.

Be advised though, if you do use the KR guides, they are no longer available in black. You might luck up and find them from several different sources, but Fuji is no longer producing them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Be advised though, if you do use the KR guides, they are no longer available in black. You might luck up and find them from several different sources, but Fuji is no longer producing them.
    Kigan ZH come in black. Every bit as good as Fuji Alconites.

10. Member
    I built myself a spinning rod with Microwaves, set it up exactly how they said. Sold it. The rods I've built with Fuji...both Concept and KR...or Kigans cast better. If someone insists on a Microwave set up I'll build it for them but other than that I'd never do it again on purpose.

11. Member
    Thanks for everyone’s advice. I went with the KR concept. It might be a bit more work but I think my dad will appreciate the look a little more and I know KRs cast awesome. Next spinning rod I build for myself I might give the microwaves a try
    1995 Ranger 481v