Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    I'm sure that you're not being derogatory, but I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. What list?
    List of reasons to quit tournament fishing. It starts with cost or ROI (not vs entry fees, total cost including equipment, gas, lodging etc.) and goes on to time, physical pounding on the great lakes etc. etc.

Fans or lack of (for local tournaments) do not make my list. We have had some, the early OV/GM Pro Bass days, especially the Classics and the first few B1's out of Valleyfield were well attended but overall it is friends and family or if you are fishing Renegade made for T.V. just like (smaller scale) BPT.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    I am going to start a new tournament trail where the total weight of all fish is half of your score and then the weight of your best 5 is the other half of your score. Live weigh in of the best 5 and the rest is a TV show. Then, maybe, this stupid argument over BASS vs MLF/BPT will stop.
    I know you are joking but that would be a hell of a tournament.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Looking at his stats on the Bass site it looks like a good business decision. Averaged about 100k a year in earnings. 5 Classic appearance's and a couple tour wins.
    That 100k should cover his expenses, hope he has some good sponsors lined up

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    I am going to start a new tournament trail where the total weight of all fish is half of your score and then the weight of your best 5 is the other half of your score. Live weigh in of the best 5 and the rest is a TV show. Then, maybe, this stupid argument over BASS vs MLF/BPT will stop.
    Cool idea...and you know you don't have to read or respond to the mlf/bass threads.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    The Classic isn't the ultimate prize currently, maybe used to be and may be again in the future, but the quality of angler's there doesn't stack up currently. Agree on the Expo, it's the best.
    I get where you’re coming from but I’ve noticed in debates like this people (speaking generally, not singling you out) often equate name recognition with “quality” and I just think that’s the wrong way of looking at it. It’s a very hard thing to actually quantify.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Arguably he’s going to be fishing against lesser competition overall in BASS.

There are some very good guys in the top 10-20 in BASS. But overall, IMHO the overall depth compared to BPT is weaker.
    It’s an interesting conversation. I’d argue MLF is far more top heavy than BASS but BASS has a deeper roster. I mean 2 guys won 5 of 7 BPT events this season, another was won by the greatest bass angler of all time. Name recognition is undeniably higher on the BPT but that doesn’t necessarily equate to a higher caliber of angler as it stands today.

Bassfan (which has a major MLF bias and that’s okay) has their world rankings and their current top 100 is split literally 50/50 between BASS and MLF.

7. TJNYSNP
    The bait he was using is not the v&m drop shad they sell now, maybe it is a prototype for 2022 ?

8. Member
    The Classic isn't the ultimate prize currently, maybe used to be and may be again in the future, but the quality of angler's there doesn't stack up currently. Agree on the Expo, it's the best.
    While I unequivocally, completely and 100% think you couldn’t be more wrong, okay, what’s bigger than the Classic?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    While I unequivocally, completely and 100% think you couldn’t be more wrong, okay, what’s bigger than the Classic?
    Well if we are going by base it on name recommendation like Printman71 is, then it would have to be the Redbreast. I wonder if anyone can name the last three winners of that event....or even the last winner :)

10. dartag1829
    The Classic has lost it's luster. If you remember the winner used to be flown to New York that night and was on all the talk shows the next morning. KVD called it " The Washing Machine ". At least today you have instant coverage with Live and web sites. Used to be you had to wait a couple months for the magazine.

The Red Crest is another made for TV show.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Originally Posted by bassdge

Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    I know you are joking but that would be a hell of a tournament.

I have to agree it is an excellent concept sure like the way bassdge thinks it is a format that would be possible even though presently the probability of it happening isn't here yet.

That doesn't mean down the road sometime not too far in the future after I've worn out my last pair of White New Balances and sitting around the Rest Home that I won't be reading about or listening to a Podcast announcing a Tournament Circuit adapting this very Format.

I just hope bassdge receives the recognition he deserves along with some significant cash royalties for coming up with it so I can honestly claim to have been there on the BBC during October of 2021 when that young feller introduced it to the world.

12. TJNYSNP
    I never thought of it this way, but it just "seems" that the social media around the B.A.S.S. Elite pros is ratched up a bit more with following....i could be completely wrong.... i surf youtube like most looking for fishing videos and i do see Edwin's channel but i guess it is me but i just don't see to find the other pros that went to MLF in my clicks for fishing videos anymore....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    I never thought of it this way, but it just "seems" that the social media around the B.A.S.S. Elite pros is ratched up a bit more with following....i could be completely wrong.... i surf youtube like most looking for fishing videos and i do see Edwin's channel but i guess it is me but i just don't see to find the other pros that went to MLF in my clicks for fishing videos anymore....
    It is you and your search history.

More big SM impact from MLF pros I would guess but no one touches Scott Martin so that slides over to the BASS side. It's mixed.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    Well if we are going by base it on name recommendation like Printman71 is, then it would have to be the Redbreast. I wonder if anyone can name the last three winners of that event....or even the last winner :)

D.C. and E.E. won the last two RedCrests. They are both bigger names with bigger social followings than Cherry. But yes, they both did make their name on BASS first.

MLF has a rule you must stop fishing if no cell service is available? I'm too lazy to do a search please post said rule.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    D.C. and E.E. won the last two RedCrests. They are both bigger names with bigger social followings than Cherry. But yes, they both did make their name on BASS first.
    I'd disagree with DC being a bigger name. Yes, bigger social, but that's more an age thing than anything. BTW, where did Connell get his start and his name recognition?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    MLF has a rule you must stop fishing if no cell service is available? I'm too lazy to do a search please post said rule.
    Every so often yes. The marshal has to be put in a position by the angler where they can update the scoreboard. Some events it never happens because service is fine throughout the fishery. But it happened a fair amount at the Rayburn event this past season. Ott Defoe talked about it on BTL after he won the event.

40. IMPEDANCE:
    A. The MLF Angler cannot knowingly put the MLF Official or camera operator in a situation where they are unable to perform their job. This includes being in an area where there is no connectivity with the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device for more than 15 consecutive minutes.
    Once the boat enters an area where the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device loses
    connectivity, the MLF Official will announce “We have lost SCORETRACKER© connectivity. You have 15 minutes before you must return to an area of connectivity.” Once the 15 consecutive minutes has elapsed, the MLF Official will announce “You have reached your 15 minutes of connectivity loss. You must stop fishing and return to an area of connectivity.” At this point the MLF Angler must immediately stop fishing and return the boat to an area of SCORETRACKER© connectivity. This includes making another cast after the MLF Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed. Failure to do so will result in a penalty.

Any bass caught between the time after the MLF Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed and before the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device has regained connectivity will be deemed non-scorable.
    (Penalty-Official: Impedance Violation, 15 minutes once connectivity is reestablished, stop fishing)

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StretcherJockey View Post
    Every so often yes. The marshal has to be put in a position by the angler where they can update the scoreboard. Some events it never happens because service is fine throughout the fishery. But it happened a fair amount at the Rayburn event this past season. Ott Defoe talked about it on BTL after he won the event.

40. IMPEDANCE:
    A. The MLF Angler cannot knowingly put the MLF Official or camera operator in a situation where they are unable to perform their job. This includes being in an area where there is no connectivity with the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device for more than 15 consecutive minutes.
    Once the boat enters an area where the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device loses
    connectivity, the MLF Official will announce “We have lost SCORETRACKER© connectivity. You have 15 minutes before you must return to an area of connectivity.” Once the 15 consecutive minutes has elapsed, the MLF Official will announce “You have reached your 15 minutes of connectivity loss. You must stop fishing and return to an area of connectivity.” At this point the MLF Angler must immediately stop fishing and return the boat to an area of SCORETRACKER© connectivity. This includes making another cast after the MLF Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed. Failure to do so will result in a penalty.

Any bass caught between the time after the MLF Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed and before the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device has regained connectivity will be deemed non-scorable.
    (Penalty-Official: Impedance Violation, 15 minutes once connectivity is reestablished, stop fishing)
    Interesting. I know a few waters where it would be hard to see how there would ever be an MLF event with that rule - Toledo Bend is the first one that comes to mind.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    I'd disagree with DC being a bigger name. Yes, bigger social, but that's more an age thing than anything. BTW, where did Connell get his start and his name recognition?

Ahh.... read the post you quoted. I clearly stated they both made their name in BASS first.

And you can debate who was bigger before their first championship but ! don't think Cherry ever won a full field tour level event before the Classic. DC did, and yes it was a BASS Elite series event.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Interesting. I know a few waters where it would be hard to see how there would ever be an MLF event with that rule - Toledo Bend is the first one that comes to mind.
    The issue most applied to Rayburn.... right down the road

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast