Question 1996 Johnson 200 Fuel Issues

I have a 96 Johnson 200 engine (model J200STLEDM). After idling about 10 minutes the primer ball will go soft and the engine will die. If I get the boat on the pad before then it will run all the the up to WOT without any issues. Once off the pad and idling the ball will go soft and the engine will die. This engine is on a Stratos 201XL with dual tanks. The situation is the same on both tanks. The fuel line and primer bulb have been replaced with OEM parts form the connection valve where the two tank lines meet.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try knocking out the anti siphon valve from both tanks and see how it does. You may want to also replace the fuel hoses from the tanks to the selector valve.

3. Member
    I have a 96 Johnson 200 engine (model J200STLEDM). The port side trim rod will only go in about 3/4 of the way before it binds and goes no further. I removed the trim rod from the cylinder. The cylinder walls are smooth and the trim rod/piston are fine. Looking for suggestions on next steps. The trim motor continues to run when the trim rod id at a bind. Fluid level was full.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try bleeding the system by trimming down onto a block of wood. Open up the manual release valve a few turns trim the motor up for a 5 count the motor should not go up with the valve open. Then trim down for a 5 count, do this 5 times tighten the valve. and operate the trim see if that fixes it if not internal check valve in the assembly.