Double Digit thread got me thinking

Has VA up there on the list. So what are the best places here to get a chance at a 10+?

I know some of the electric only or hp restricted lake are known for some big girls, where else? Some say Chesdin has them. I caught some big ones there when younger, but nothing close to 10.
    Semper Fi

2. Member
    Briery Creek Lake, Lake Conner, Leesville Lake
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children
    ><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'· .¸.·´¯'·...><((((º>

3. Member
    Chickahominy Lake has some big ones. Although, I've never been able to catch one.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennyg View Post
    Chickahominy Lake has some big ones. Although, I've never been able to catch one.
    My biggest fish since moving back to VA was from there. 5.15lbs.
    Semper Fi

Amelia Lake. Know of a 13 and an 11 out of there in the last few years. But it's chock full of rats.

I'm convinced Chesdin is a good bet for a big lake, given the number of 6-7 lb fish I've caught out of there. Lost one about 8 this summer in the hydrilla.
    Wishing I was Fishing

6. Member
    Briery, Sandy, some of the Suffolk Lakes, and Chick Lake....

Chick Lake has probably put out the most over the past year 2 years

7. Member
    There is at least one 10 in Chesdin

I know of some 9s that have been caught at Lake Anna over the past 5 years.

I would say Briery or Chick River/Lake would be your best chance.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The Potomac River has produced at least two.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

10. Member
    Suffolk lakes put out a couple every year.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

There was an 8.37 weighed in today during the Big Bass Tour on Smith Mountain Lake. Maybe a 10 some day?

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    There was an 8.37 weighed in today during the Big Bass Tour on Smith Mountain Lake. Maybe a 10 some day?
    There’s always a chance. But if you put 400 boats on the water (800 anglers total is what I heard) someone is bound to catch an 8 pounder. But with the lack of vegetation in that lake and the amount of constant tournament pressure it gets I very highly doubt you’ll ever see a 10. At least not on artificial tackle.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    There’s always a chance. But if you put 400 boats on the water (800 anglers total is what I heard) someone is bound to catch an 8 pounder. But with the lack of vegetation in that lake and the amount of constant tournament pressure it gets I very highly doubt you’ll ever see a 10. At least not on artificial tackle.
    The lack of vegetation is definitely a limiting factor. In 2018 I fished with a striper guide in April and we caught some 4-5 lb. largemouths off the planar boards will dragging 9-12 inch shad around for stripers The guide, who seemed legitimate to me, said that he knew of two 10 lb. largemouths caught at SML by striper guides while trolling big bait and that both were released. If it happens to a bass angler on SML, I'm open to being that angler. On a different topic, the angler who caught the second largest fish of the three day BBT and the largest fish on Saturday was DQ'd for failing his polygraph exam. No details yet on why he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    The lack of vegetation is definitely a limiting factor. In 2018 I fished with a striper guide in April and we caught some 4-5 lb. largemouths off the planar boards will dragging 9-12 inch shad around for stripers The guide, who seemed legitimate to me, said that he knew of two 10 lb. largemouths caught at SML by striper guides while trolling big bait and that both were released. If it happens to a bass angler on SML, I'm open to being that angler. On a different topic, the angler who caught the second largest fish of the three day BBT and the largest fish on Saturday was DQ'd for failing his polygraph exam. No details yet on why he failed.
    Striper guides on that lake are always talking about how they "caught a 10 pounder down at the dam while trolling". I've heard that for years, but never actually seen a picture of one. You'd think if someone caught a 10 pounder they'd at least take a picture.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    Striper guides on that lake are always talking about how they "caught a 10 pounder down at the dam while trolling". I've heard that for years, but never actually seen a picture of one. You'd think if someone caught a 10 pounder they'd at least take a picture.
    Totally agree, supposedly one of the guides took accurate measurements and made a replica mount. If I caught that sucker I’d call every paper in the county.

16. Member
    It’s been several years (maybe 6-7?), but I know of at least one 10+ that came out of Claytor Lake. And I’m fairly certain it was on artificial bait, because I recall it was during a tournament.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

17. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    It’s been several years (maybe 6-7?), but I know of at least one 10+ that came out of Claytor Lake. And I’m fairly certain it was on artificial bait, because I recall it was during a tournament.
    When the A Rig really took off claytor produced multiple fish over 10. This was like 2011-2013 time frame. It has since cooled off from what I've heard. I personally lost a fish on claytor that I think was at least nine lbs. Still haunts me to this day.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    When the A Rig really took off claytor produced multiple fish over 10. This was like 2011-2013 time frame. It has since cooled off from what I've heard. I personally lost a fish on claytor that I think was at least nine lbs. Still haunts me to this day.
    yeah, I looked back and found it was nearly 10yrs since Mike Burchett posted that big bass.

My largest Virginia bass came out of Gatewood Reservoir in Pulaski. I used to think it was “close” to 10lbs since I didn’t have a scale and I’d never caught one that big before. It was probably between 8-9lbs. Rented a jon boat during the week, and this was long before I ever had a cell phone. Nobody was within earshot…
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye