Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch line brand and weight choices for this rod

Hi All, I just ordered a Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch Rod, and I would like all your expert opinions on what line brand and weight/# to use for all the different techniques/baits this rod can handle. From what I have read this rod can handle (Texas rigs, jigs, frogs, small swimbaits, small umbrella rigs, oversized squarebills. Magnum bladed jigs, mag topwaters, light flipping/punching). Not sure what size/weight for each of these techniques/baits?

So my questions are, assuming from a frog point of view, that I use straight braid 30,40,50,65#, can I use one of these weight/# braids and still just add a leader of Fluro/Mono, (what brand and #, and what length leader for each technique) for each of these other techniques/baits?

Just to give you some background, this is my first post, and I am an ol guy that is getting back into Bass fishing. There was a time I wanted to be a professional Bass fisherman. I even attended a Don Iovino seminar way back when, late 70's, early 80's not sure, been so long. Met a women, marriage, kids, grandchildren, fast forward, and here we are.

I really appreciate all of your input, I am stuck here in So Cal for at least another year, however I will be moving eventually to hunt for Bass.

Thank you!

2. Member
    I picked one up this past week used for a great deal. First time out I was messing around with a 1/4 Texas rig on 15 pound flouro as well as some 4.8” swim baits and those were my favorite applications. Also used braid for some 1/2 ounce t-rigs and jigs around some docks and brush and did very well with those. I don’t think I’d go much higher than 3/4 ounce on this rod but it’s perfect for what I use.
    Last edited by Jordan19; 10-14-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Rods capable of just about any technique in it’s weight range. I normally use mine for 1/2 and 3/4 ounce jigs, and pitching texas rigs around cover. I have used it for frogs, flukes, mag squarebills, spinnerbaits, and have even thrown 6 inch magdrafts and other 5-6 inch swimbaits. Very versatile and capable rod. Im currently using mine to throw the bigger Deps Bull Flats weedless around grass and its done a great job. I personally use 16 lb Fluoro on mine the majority of the time but it seems like for what you are tryimg to do, you’d be better off with 30-40 lb braid to a mono or fluoro leader.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
    Hi All, I just ordered a Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch Rod, and I would like all your expert opinions on what line brand and weight/# to use for all the different techniques/baits this rod can handle. From what I have read this rod can handle (Texas rigs, jigs, frogs, small swimbaits, small umbrella rigs, oversized squarebills. Magnum bladed jigs, mag topwaters, light flipping/punching). Not sure what size/weight for each of these techniques/baits?

So my questions are, assuming from a frog point of view, that I use straight braid 30,40,50,65#, can I use one of these weight/# braids and still just add a leader of Fluro/Mono, (what brand and #, and what length leader for each technique) for each of these other techniques/baits?

Just to give you some background, this is my first post, and I am an ol guy that is getting back into Bass fishing. There was a time I wanted to be a professional Bass fisherman. I even attended a Don Iovino seminar way back when, late 70's, early 80's not sure, been so long. Met a women, marriage, kids, grandchildren, fast forward, and here we are.

I really appreciate all of your input, I am stuck here in So Cal for at least another year, however I will be moving eventually to hunt for Bass.

Thank you!
    Thank you for your reply! I appreciate your time. I see that you have been using straight 15# Fluro (what brand?) ,and also used braid, (what brand and #). Trying to figure this out so I can make a decision and order line. Thank you!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan19 View Post
    I picked one up this past week used for a great deal. First time out I was messing around with a 1/4 Texas rig on 15 pound fluoro as well as some 4.8” swim baits and those were my favorite applications. Also used braid for some 1/2 ounce t-rigs and jigs around some docks and brush and did very well with those. I don’t think I’d go much higher than 3/4 ounce on this rod but it’s perfect for what I use.
    Thank you for your reply! I appreciate your time. I see that you have settled in on 16# fluoro for this rod, (what brand). If you had a frog tied, what brand and # braid would you suggest? I do see that you said 30-40# braid. What brand and # fluro and mono leaders would you use? Thank you.

6. Member
    Thank everyone for all of the replies, I appreciate it. I would love to here from others so I can make a decision on what approach to go with. Maybe I am asking too much to use one rod for so many techniques? At some point I will build up different setups to handle isolated techniques, just trying to start somewhere to get my feet wet. Thank you all!

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I have used my Perfect Pitch for all of those applications you mentioned but I use it primarily as a frog rod and I use 65# Sufix 832 Braid for that but will also use it to chuck 1/2+ oz chatterbaits and swimjigs over thick grass beds.

I also use the Perfect Pitch at Toledo Bend for grinding 1 oz football jigs along the bottom in 20+ ft of water and for flipping stuff into the bushes when the spawners move up and for that I tie on a 20lb Sunline FC Sniper fluro leader. My Perfect Pitch is a 1st generation with the microguides so I usually only use a 4'ish ft leader. If I had the current Perfect Pitch I'd use a 6-7 ft leader so I do I have to retie the leader as often. If you are going to drag stuff along the bottom, a leader on braid is pretty much a necessity as braid can get pretty frayed when dragged across sharp edges such as rock, shell beds and zebra mussels.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    I'd recommend 40 pound regular power pro braid for straight frogging. Then you coukd tie a leader to it for other applications. I'd recommend 15 to 20 pound seaguar or sunline fluorocarbon

9. Member
    I own several of the Gen 1 XX Perfect Pitch rods and here is what I feel they do best.

50lb braid - Frog (traditional or popping), Horny Toad, Pitching T-rigs to vegetation (3/8-5/8 depending on size of plastic), pitching 1/2-3/4oz jigs around vegetation, Carolina Rig up to 1oz, throwing large weightless plastics to shallow vegetation.

15-25lb fluoro - Pitching T-rigs (3/8-5/8 depending on size of plastic), pitching 1/2-3/4oz jigs, Carolina Rig up to 1oz.

IMHO I don't like it for T-rigs under 3/8 or jigs under 1/2 as I start to lose 'feel'. A lot of folks really like it for Frog fishing, but I'm a 'less than stellar' frogman so my thoughts aren't relevant on that.

10. Member
    I have the Perfect Ptich in the Levante and the Orochi series. I honestly like the tip better on the Levante. The Orochi seems like a pool cue and its my dedicated flipping rod. The Levante seems much more versatile because of the softer tip (IMO). Does anyone else notice that. Both rods are the second generations.

11. Member
    I had a gen 1 perfect pitch and i used it as a pitching rod. 18 lb. sniper was the line and it basically always had a 1/2 oz jig on it