Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

Behind schedule….

Been a very busy year at work. Didn’t get time to do plots or cameras or stands. Right before opening weekend we got a rain and I weaseled out of work that Sunday and we put the tractor to work. Got plots in and a couple stands cleaned up. I poked my head out there after a big rain last weekend and good germination and some fresh tracks. No cameras still and fast forward to today I made my first set of the season. I have never missed opening day. Well not since I started at 16. Not even when I was in Alaska. I made a one week trek back just for a deer stand.

So with tonight’s first set I realized something. Without cameras, it was so much easier to just watch and wait. With cameras you have an idea of what’s going on, without, just anticipation. Sure did have a wonderful evening. Even saw a few deer. No shooters.

sometimes I think we get a little out of hand with the tech. Not sure I’ll put a cam up this year.

happy hunting. 37CCE568-38D3-4E8B-9CEE-268C5342F745.jpeg

2. Banned
    Sounds like the way to really hunt. With all the electronics available for hunting and fishing, it sometimes takes skill out of the equation. Good luck and have fun.

3. Member
    Great pic! Good luck and enjoy!

4. Member

There’s something to be said for simplicity and tech-free existence. Enjoy the beauty of God’s country.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Been a very busy year at work. Didn’t get time to do plots or cameras or stands. Right before opening weekend we got a rain and I weaseled out of work that Sunday and we put the tractor to work. Got plots in and a couple stands cleaned up. I poked my head out there after a big rain last weekend and good germination and some fresh tracks. No cameras still and fast forward to today I made my first set of the season. I have never missed opening day. Well not since I started at 16. Not even when I was in Alaska. I made a one week trek back just for a deer stand.

So with tonight’s first set I realized something. Without cameras, it was so much easier to just watch and wait. With cameras you have an idea of what’s going on, without, just anticipation. Sure did have a wonderful evening. Even saw a few deer. No shooters.

sometimes I think we get a little out of hand with the tech. Not sure I’ll put a cam up this year.

happy hunting. 37CCE568-38D3-4E8B-9CEE-268C5342F745.jpeg
    What did you plant for a plot? All I was able to get in was winter rye. It's up about 4" and should be ready when cold weather hits.

I don't recall ever having a camera make a difference in getting a deer. Some years I put them out, some years not. If anything, they've show me where not to hunt if the deer consistently don't get there until after dark. It's fun to get an idea of how many are in the area though.

7. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    What did you plant for a plot? All I was able to get in was winter rye. It's up about 4" and should be ready when cold weather hits.

I don't recall ever having a camera make a difference in getting a deer. Some years I put them out, some years not. If anything, they've show me where not to hunt if the deer consistently don't get there until after dark. It's fun to get an idea of how many are in the area though.
    I just planted a wheat/oat mix…. This particular place will have cows back on it after turkey day. So cheap plots because they will get wrecked.

interesting note, I see all these expensive custom mixes and I’ve planted winter wheat and oats for years. I buy whole oats and feed wheat. Germination may not be what seed oats and seed wheat are, but it’s super cheap in comparison and I just spread it heavy. Planted 4 acres for under 100 bucks of seed. I don’t get fancy with my plantings either, just spring tooth once, spread seed, then spring tooth opposite direction. Literally 4 hours of work and less than a hundred bucks in seed and good plots. Granted we have decent soil on this place or I would have to add some costly “N”.

8. Member
    I just planted a wheat/oat mix…. This particular place will have cows back on it after turkey day. So cheap plots because they will get wrecked.

interesting note, I see all these expensive custom mixes and I’ve planted winter wheat and oats for years. I buy whole oats and feed wheat. Germination may not be what seed oats and seed wheat are, but it’s super cheap in comparison and I just spread it heavy. Planted 4 acres for under 100 bucks of seed. I don’t get fancy with my plantings either, just spring tooth once, spread seed, then spring tooth opposite direction. Literally 4 hours of work and less than a hundred bucks in seed and good plots. Granted we have decent soil on this place or I would have to add some costly “N”.
    Wish I had decent soils so I could only use a spring tooth. Working with clay here and it sucks

9. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I am a big trail cam guy. I love them and want to see whats going on everywhere in the woods. I also run several Cellular cams now and I agree with you for sure. I find myself not wanting to hunt when activity has been low as oppose to how I use to just go any chance I had
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    I usually target a specific buck and need cams to do that. IMO just shooting a buck is easy and yes fun but I like the tougher challenge of going after a specific buck. I have a great one now I'm after but he is mostly across the fence. I'm waiting and always willing to eat a tag!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    I usually target a specific buck and need cams to do that. IMO just shooting a buck is easy and yes fun but I like the tougher challenge of going after a specific buck. I have a great one now I'm after but he is mostly across the fence. I'm waiting and always willing to eat a tag!
    I hunted a 160 inch 16 point last year for 3 weeks an had chances at some good deer during those weeks, the most fulfilling thing is killing one specific deer. Goodluck on your journey

12. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    tag soup last two years. Never killed “him” so to speak. Part of it, but it has been fun last two weeks not knowing too. I got cams up Friday lol. We will see if my tube changes next Thursday.

Yep I choose tag soup a lot. I have TONS of bucks every year and would be very easy to pop a 140" but I'm trying for a bow booner. Already let a 150" go this year and a few other 130's.

GL Everyone!

tag soup last two years. Never killed “him” so to speak. Part of it, but it has been fun last two weeks not knowing too. I got cams up Friday lol. We will see if my tube changes next Thursday.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

14. Moderator
    Yep I choose tag soup a lot. I have TONS of bucks every year and would be very easy to pop a 140" but I'm trying for a bow booner. Already let a 150" go this year and a few other 130's.

GL Everyone!
    Dang... I have never even seen a 150" deer on hoof

Been growing them 10 years. Have great vids and pics of all kinds of bucks this year. Wish we could post vids!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Dang... I have never even seen a 150" deer on hoof

16. Moderator
    Been growing them 10 years. Have great vids and pics of all kinds of bucks this year. Wish we could post vids!
    Well throw up some pics anyway.

17. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I’m currently running 5 cell cams and want more. My main thing with them is it eliminates a lot of wasted time even though time in the woods is never technically wasted.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

18. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I’m currently running 5 cell cams and want more. My main thing with them is it eliminates a lot of wasted time even though time in the woods is never technically wasted.
    that was the point of the post. I caught myself over the years not spending time in the woods because a certain buck wasn’t showing up or whatever. Now I’ve just went when I can. Time in the woods is never ever wasted. There’s so much more to it that “hunting”. I learned a valuable lesson this year by mistake and glad I did so.

Ok here are a few (10).
    7.jpg5.jpg6.jpg4.jpg2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg8.jpg11.jpg10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Well throw up some pics anyway.
    Last edited by BOW4UM; 10-27-2021 at 12:11 PM.

20. Member
    just let me know if you need a hand taking a few of those out… some giants in there forsure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast