Question hit a underwater floating log

2010 ranger commanche ranger cup 225 pro xs. Hit a log took the whole lower unit off. I lost foot and prop. Sheared studs and bolt on lower plate. Threw me to side and kill switch stopped motor. I have state farm insurance. any pointers or info would sure help. I called my agent and left a voice mail. Will tow boat from dock to trailer in the morning. to shook up tonight.

2. Member
    I recently filed with State Farm on a metal pole that was under the water line I hit. Gouged the hull and ruined prop and lower unit. Got estimate and they paid claim, fast. Problem now is finding a lower unit. Was told 2-6 months.

Your lucky. There’s a strong shot your engine will be totaled since it will likely also need a mid along with all the possibilities or engine mounts etc. also a hit that hard might have done transom damage. Make sure you take it somewhere that knows what to look for. Good luck
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

4. Banned
    I did that last year and luckily all it did was damage the trim unit, State Farm paid the claim.

5. mikesxpress
    Hull inspection required.

6. Member
    Well hull and pad made it with no problems. Transome soild,lower unit and prop not repairable. new OEM lower unit $8400.00 ,prop and hub, $890.00i Est. for repairs and photos with tear down report total $10,000. Looks like insurance has it all covered. I didnt want to renew it this ywear, but wife said do it you never know. Glad I listened once.

7. Member
    So ins will spend $10000 on a engine that's worth $6000 on it's best day. I would take that check and put it to better use.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    I would take the $10,000 sell the used motor for parts and buy a new motor. $8400 for a lower unit is crazy. My 2017 Yamaha SHO lower unit is $5000 and that is new at factory In Japan. Problem is, it will be 2-9 months before it makes it to the US depending on how much the government pays people to not work at the ports.

9. Member
    Yep agree Junk it and get a new 4s That's a lot of $$$$ for and old motor. Do a do over?

10. Banned
    Don't get a new one, keep that old 2 stroke going.

11. Member
    Stae farm called this moning on a Sunday. Sending check out for total repairs. Since power head only has 72 hrs on it I'm going to proceed with repairs.