Ultrex 112 36v - low power

New on 2014 BassCat Puma, put it on 10 and go about 1mph, seems really slow.
    Cleaned all terminals, getting 36v at plus (will recheck). Lithiums are
    fully charged per bluetooth reading, need to check each battery. Battery
    wiring correct.

I have no clue what to check next, any ideas? Thanks

you should be getting closer to 40 volts at the plug with lithium's
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I run a single 36volt lithium for my ghost trolling motor. it puts out about 44 volts at battery ( if memory serves me correctly). I actually had the battery manufacturer contact Lowrance to verify I would not damage the ghost motor with those volt.

4. Member
    Had a problem just like that earlier this year turned out to be water in the motor. Might want to pull the prop and loosen the 2 bolts and check for water.

5. Member
    Yes agree with above that the voltage seems a bit low. I would also check to make sure that there is no water intrusion in the motor. As stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by FTC View Post
    Had a problem just like that earlier this year turned out to be water in the motor. Might want to pull the prop and loosen the 2 bolts and check for water.
    How did the water get in the motor? I have the low power issue now after the motor fell off this weekend. Hit a rock, the one screw that holds the motor on the mount sheared off and in the water it went. No. I was not going very fast when it happened. The co-angler even commented that I was hardly moving at all when it happened. After getting everything back together, I took off the top to let things dry out. Yesterday it had no power as if running on 12 volts instead of 36.

This is what came out when I opened it up. Hope it works correctly when dried out.20211018_175924.jpg

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    How did the water get in the motor? I have the low power issue now after the motor fell off this weekend. Hit a rock, the one screw that holds the motor on the mount sheared off and in the water it went. No. I was not going very fast when it happened. The co-angler even commented that I was hardly moving at all when it happened. After getting everything back together, I took off the top to let things dry out. Yesterday it had no power as if running on 12 volts instead of 36.
    Water got past the seals for some reason. ASC replaced entire motor assembly under warranty.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC View Post
    Water got past the seals for some reason. ASC replaced entire motor assembly under warranty.
    Had same replacement, but leak was finally determined from shaft connection after 3 seal replacements...went the whole summer without it. Good thing I had a fortrex for a backup
    Fish have fins, they swim

10. Member
    Update - problem was not in the TM but in the back end of the boat. Batteries tested good, so went connection by connection cleaning up, putting in new circuit breakers, etc. Previous work was a quick clean up hoping for the best, had to do it right. 42 volts at the plug now, and prop is spinning much faster on full speed. Water test later this week.

Thanks for the input, got me going in the right direction.

11. Member
    This is what came out when I opened it up. Hope it works correctly when dried out.20211018_175924.jpg
    It might for a little while. I would do a complete shaft and motor assembly replacement. Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    It might for a little while. I would do a complete shaft and motor assembly replacement. Warranty?
    It is toast. No warranty for one being dumped in the water, but there is insurance for it. Got a new one on the way but it will be three months before I get it.

13. Member
    I wouldn't put that back in water until the seals are replaced and it might be okay. I've been through this multiple times on 2 different ultrex. One the repair tech was never able to get it to stop leaking and replaced the entire lower motor section and that worked.