Question 2017 Mercury Optimax Pro XS fuel issue

I have a 2017 Mercury Pro XS 175hp that has set up for over a year. The motor is basically brand new with .4 hours on it, additive was added to gas when put in storage. I started it up just fine a few days ago and let idle for a few minutes. Everything was perfect, then it sputtered, turned off and hasn’t restarted since. I have vessel view attached and no warning or faults, temperature was fine. Since then I have checked compression and all exactly the same, changed the gas, drained the fuel pumps, changed the plugs but still no luck. Any idea on what is going on? I also sprayed a shot of starting fluid in it today and it fired right up them died again and I did not try again, kind of led me to believe fuel restriction.
    Last edited by rafree827; 10-13-2021 at 07:46 PM.

2. Banned
    Did you replace the fuel filter? Are you getting pressure at the fuel rails? Could be the lift pump in the tank. May also want to pull the injectors to have them serviced and flow tested.

Does sound like a fuel related issue.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

DON'T spray starting fluid in it again. One of the fastest ways to kill an engine.

Need to check the fuel pressure. Likely that either there is no fuel IN the VST, or that the fuel pumps are not functioning properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor